00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
Hi all,

I hope that everyone has been able to enjoy the holiday season.

I've returned not to question any test results nor to try to be reassured in a situation that clearly does not require it. I am just looking for whether or not anyone happens to have any insight into the heredity aspect of neuro degenerative disorders in general. Meaning, if there is a family history of one type of disorder (ie Alzheimer's), does that put one at a higher risk not only for that specific disease, but for all neuro degenerative diseases.

Sorry, didn't mean to make this as long as it has been. Sorry for any redundancies or ramblings.

Re: Question re. Neuro-degenerative diseases and family histiory

Many of the neurodegenerative disorders have a familial link. We have loads of epilepsy in our family from my mothers side. MS has a strong familial tendency and so on. However you would not have that tendency run through different disorder sie Having alzheimers would not mean you are more likelt to have ALS etc.

i had a neighbour were i used to live who has no family history of neurological desease.............she has neurofibromatosis and her sister progressive ms

Every person has the same chance of getting any disease as the next person. 50% you will get or 50% you will not. Sorry we say that in Mathematics, you are either right or you are wrong no in between :) Many Neuro-Degen diseases have a genetic link however most of the mutations are located in unrelated genes. So depending on which genes has the mutation will dictate which diseases you are likely to get. However in Huntington's Disease since it is autosomal dominant a parent can give their offspring one mutant allel which will again give the child a 50/50 however if both parents have Huntington's the child will develop Huntingtons unless a miraculous intervention by a higher power steps in. Another AD disease is neurofibromatosis as olly referred to. Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

Every person has the same chance of getting any disease as the next person. 50% you will get or 50% you will not. Sorry we say that in Mathematics, you are either right or you are wrong no in between :) Many Neuro-Degen diseases have a genetic link however most of the mutations are located in unrelated genes. So depending on which genes has the mutation will dictate which diseases you are likely to get. However in Huntington's Disease since it is autosomal dominant a parent can give their offspring one mutant allel which will again give the child a 50/50 however if both parents have Huntington's the child will develop Huntingtons unless a miraculous intervention by a higher power steps in. Another AD disease is neurofibromatosis as olly referred to. Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

I would only add that there is not a 50% chance someone will get ALS. It's more like 1 in 200k. Rare.

ALS that runs in families is not sporadic ALS. With a family history of ot, you can have the genetic testing.

Some things do run in families...like diabetes. Family related ALS only accounts for about 10% of all ALS, I believe.

Yes I am aware of the statistics Im sorry if I was taken literally...I will explain myself better.......think laterally about it. Example: You are driving your car. Either you are going to get into an accident or you are going to make it safely..there is a 50% chance of both. If you eat beans, either you are going to fart or you wont :) 50/50....In your lifetime you are either going to have ALS or you will not...50/50

Im a mathematician sometimes my jokes are dry and can be taken literally. This is a stupid information theory observation. Sorry for any misunderstanding bc my mind seems to only work laterally these days.

Sorry again

I am definitely not a mathmatician so maybe it is just my simple logic as to why I am having trouble grasping your portrayl of the math behind your illustration. If based on empirical data they know that 10 % of all cars in town x will get into an accident on any given day then if you are 1 out 1000 people on the road in town x then you have a 10% chance of being in an accident that day. It is not as simple as a flip of coin. Perhaps if you drive during rush hour your odds increas or if you drive in the city vs the Country etc.

I think ALS is much the same. Obviously if there is a family history your odds go up, only if you carry the gene then the odds become 50 / 50. Obviously if you are a veteran it increases the odds, I believe I have read that more males have it then females etc. There is new research suggesting the possibility of increased occurence in certain athletics etc.

I did not post this to be argumentative, I know you are very bright. I was just concerned that people would read this thread, especially the "worriers" and interpet this thread as meaning they had a 50/50 chance of having ALS. I could only imagine the hysterics that would cause. Again perhaps it is just my unsophisticated view that led me astray of what you were expressing.

I thought I had explained it well but I'll just chalk it up to a failed attempt at a joke. just like we say 2 plus 2 equals 5. Sorry you guys...the lateral thinking behind it has nothing to do with actual statistical values..All you crazies out there..the actual statistics of someone getting ALS are stated twice above and are accurate. My math joke was not funny! :)

I will not attempt to explain further maybe one day someone will post lol when they get it and make me feel better. :)

And to add Mr. Ted it is def not unsophistication..this idea took me the whole last semester and many arguements with my supervising professor to wrap my pea brain around it. Except his propisition was that no matter how many green balls I drew from my urn the average number had the same statistics with and without replacement..that still makes no sense to many no matter how many logic trees I draw lol. You are accurate in your statements and notme is as well with the actual statistics of having ALS.

Sorry again guys for the confusion

CLICHTI you told me you weren't going to hang around here. Bad girl

AL

And to add Mr. Ted it is def not unsophistication..this idea took me the whole last semester and many arguements with my supervising professor to wrap my pea brain around it. Except his propisition was that no matter how many green balls I drew from my urn the average number had the same statistics with and without replacement..that still makes no sense to many no matter how many logic trees I draw lol. You are accurate in your statements and notme is as well with the actual statistics of having ALS.

Sorry again guys for the confusion

You have nothing to apologize for, as I said I did not want any of the worriers we tend to attract to see this and freak out thinking they have a 50 / 50 chane of having ALS. :)

Last edited:

Ok ok, the math teacher me has to chime in. Limgreen, LOL... I get it. You are being black and white with it. You have it or you don't. However, Ted and notme are correct....there is A LOT of grey area. Fortunately the probabilities don't work. Like you have described. It's like rolling a die... Not a 50/50 chance of getting a 5. It's more like a 17% chance. But I like your attemp at humor.

my neighbour having sporadic neurofibromatosis has to beat the odds for rareness and actually you can also get sporadic huntingtons..........nothing like putting the cat amongst the pigeons.

when i eat beans...i have proven 110 per cent certainty ..that i will fart....

Omg....I missed you guys so much ! Thank you horevo another math guy messaged me and said he got so I feel better now. Yes I understand everything involved in information theory..however def not my favorite subject :) What math do you teach? My research is in Topology. I am about to be published as an undergrad with my work on L3 with my mentor and professor. Most math folks hate topology and prefer the discrete maths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back