Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CT
City
Southington
Maybe some of you remember my posts from the spring and summer. I was sure that I had ALS due to my muscle twitching, some muscle wasting and weakness (especially in my thenar muscles and forearm), and exercise intolerance.

Although I had four EMG's that didn't show any signs of denervation/etc., I still thought in the back of my mind that the neurologist was missing something and I would eventually be diagnosed with ALS.

Last month the neurologist and I finally decided to go through with a muscle biopsy to see if any information could be acquired through it. Turns out it was very helpfulm, as it came back that I have a type of myopathy. More specifically, it is a glycogen storage disease. (If you want more info on it, just search it.)

My main point with this post is to show that there are so many things that it can be instead of ALS. Apparently the odds of getting this disease are 1/100,000 - even rarer than ALS. It will be a constant struggle with this disease, but it is not ALS. I spent way too much time focused on ALS and not enough time living my life in the relatively good health that I was in.

Happy that you don't have ALS. Best of luck to you!

Sorry to hear about the myopathy, but glad to hear that you've finally got an answer and that it's not ALS.

Good luck to you.

I'm glad it's not ALS. I hope your condition doesn't get in your way too much. Thanks for updating us. Good luck in your endeavors!

Last edited:
Good luck to all on here and thanks for the support while I was trying to find answers.

Thanks for letting us know that twitching and some muscle wasting isn't always ALS.

AL

Hey, we always hate hearing when someone has a difficult medical condition, but its still really REALLY good that its not ALS. Thank you for coming back to post after you received your diagnosis, and the best of luck to you.

Coming back and helping in any way is the least I can do. Thanks for the thoughts. The only thing I am waiting for is more testing to narrow down which of the ten different kinds of GSD's I have.

Rose- I just have to add - GO COWBOYS!

RohnboSlice, good hearing from you, glad it's not ALS!

BTW, Tom Brady and the Patriots!

Go 49ers! and Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back