Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Irvine
Hello All!

Quick question as a follow up...I had 3 EMG/NVC studies performed from DEC 2010 through May 2011. Results showed nothing substaional, besides an ulnar neuropathy in my left arm. My neuro feels BFS is the diagnosis from what I report as symptoms. My concern is that lately I am having an increase in symptoms with my right arm...twitching, spasms, feeling of tight muscles in arm, and fatigue feeling. I have no weakness in the arm however, I am not sure I would notice slight weakness simply because I work out often. I never had an EMG of my right arm (I did have my left arm, lower back, and both legs). I have read before that ALS can begin in one limb...is it worth having an EMG of my right arm? I am not interested in peace of mind per se...just want to be careful.

I trust my neuro (even had second, third opinions) but I think they see a 32 year old man that looks "healthy" and fear they may miss something. I don't mean to be a burden or ask ridiculous questions...just looking for some insight and your advice.

Thank you.

What's another opinion once you've ignored three opinions and refuse to learn about the condition you've been diagnosed with, while obsessing about a condition that there is no evidence that you have? Schedule the EMG.

I should have been more clear in my post...I am seeking advice on the EMG for my right arm but also wondering if it is needed based on having every other limb checked last year?

I admit I do not know enough to distinguish if checking both legs and my left arm is enough? Could something be missed in my right arm especially since I am seeing the "symotoms" more so in this arm?

I am not a person who obsesses over my health...I want to move on but when doctors admit they have no idea and you have conditions/disorders/diseases that also have no clear cause, it does cause some concern. Add into the equation my unexplained symptoms seem to be from a vaccine, I am just being cautious.

So if you get the arm done will you then develop tongue problems because it wasn't tested? See where I'm going with this?

AL.

You were perfectly clear in your post. One week ago, you saw a neurologist who specializes in neuromuscular conditions who assured you that you don't have a MND -- even told you that you need not schedule a followup with him unless your symptoms change. Presumably, the condition of your right arm was assessed at that time and was included in the "unless symptoms change" provision.

This week, you've decided to obsess on symptoms in a limb that didn't get EMG'd. Even though none of the other EMGs has shown anything to be concerned about, you're wondering whether this limb might be the mystical hiding place that ALS has been waiting to spring out at you from. The only way you're going to believe anything different is to have an EMG or two done on that arm, so go ahead and schedule one. The sooner you get it done, the quicker you can move on to some more new symptoms. Like a lump in your throat or excess saliva or the slurred words only you can hear.

Sure took you a lot more words to say the same thing TR.

AL

Sure took you a lot more words to say the same thing TR.

AL

lol, and, as you guys posted at roughly the same time, the question is..... who started to reply first? I can't imagine either of you are zippy on the keyboard.

As for your question, stvhck, listen to Al and Trfogey, they know what they're talking about.

A year from now, if your problems have not disappeared, and there is still no clear cut cause, then, maybe re-visit the testing you've already had. And yes, I said a year, not a month, not six months. I am not being dismissive, I am speaking from personal experience. You will make yourself crazy if you keep trying to be tested for things, and just due to having to keep your testing appointments alone, that will keep your worries at the forefront of your mind.

Enjoy the holidays, and Happy Christmas.

Last edited:
Now that's got me chuckling, thanks folks. Al is concise, Trfogey is poetic?

Now that's got me chuckling, thanks folks. Al is concise, Trfogey is poetic?

Al has one finger -- I have Dasher and a headmouse. ;)

Poetic? No. Verbose? Yes. Full of "it"? Depends on who you ask.

Perhaps that's why we love you guys so much! :)

Now you got me blushing.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back