Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Nottinghamshire
City
Nottingham
let me start by saying im new to this, and im 18 year old male. I have had these symptoms for about a year now, sometimes progressively worse. I am not sure what it is and i am worried about going to a doctor and finding out! I have been diagnosed with panic disorder and anxiety. However these symptoms seem far from anxiety! I have been having a weak sensation/feeling in my left arm and sometimes my right, my muscles shake sometimes violently when they are in a certain position. also my legs, i can only stand for so long and they get weak and i have to sit down, i feel as if my muscles are strained and becoming weaker and weaker, i can swallow fine still sometimes i have trouble breathing but i am not sure if that is anxiety.. however i am not sure if this is ALS or whether it is a pinched nerve, see i have spend years with bad posture from gaming and working with computers, i never go out much so.. and i crack my back ALOT and my neck cracks a lot and sometimes feels sore and tense.. which is why i am not sure if it is a pinched nerve, but i didnt think a picnhed nerve could cause all this.. and I have heard you can get ALS even at age 18 i am really worried and dont know what else to do! :(

The only advice I can give is if you feel like something is wrong, go get it checked out. You'll drive yourself crazy playing the guessing game. Better to know for sure than not.

dainton...I am going to be honest with you. You are 18 years old and have your whole life ahead of you. Yes people of any age can be diagnosed with ALS, however despite not being a Dr. I feel I can confidently say you do not have ALS. As you said you have anxiety issues, you must come to grips with this. I read a lot of "weak feeling", "weak sensation" etc. ALS is actually being weaker, not being able to beat you 7 year old in arm wrestling, as I can not do is an example of actual weakness. It does not seem you are suffering from actual weakness but from the inability to control your panic and anxiety.

Let me give you some advice, please stay off of your computer and find a Dr so they can tell you what I am. When I was 18 the thought "do I have ALS" never would have come to mind. I was out with my girlfriend, or hanging out with friends. You need to do the same.

I wish you the best and please get help for your anxiety. The mind is a powerful thing, but it belongs to you, you must control it. Good luck!

You indeed should go to a doctor if you are worried about your symptoms. You can how ever be rest assured they are absolutely NOT pointing in the direction of a MND.
They also could be caused by health anxiety so again, seek help from a doctor as it's not pleasant to have an anxiety disorder.
Best wishes

What symptoms do you have that brought you across ALS in your online searching? Can't be weakness, because you'll find hundreds if not thousands of conditions that are more likely to occur in someone your age that cause weakness.

Consider asking your primary care physician to design a physical fitness program for you. Spending as much time on the computer as you do isn't healthy for someone your age.

Finally, if you want to stop being scared that you might have a MND, stop reading about it. There really isn't any evidence that you have it, from what you've posted here, and continuing to read about it just feeds your anxiety.

You don't know what else to do? Yes you do . . . go see a physician for your very treatable condition, whatever it is (and it's not ALS).

Please go see a doctor who can alleviate your concerns, you are entirely too young to be focused on such a disease as ALS. Time to put up your computer, quit googling and focus on the day-to-day.....get your folks involved if at possible! Best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back