Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Vacaville
I have lost the muscle between my thumb and forefinger on my left hand. I have muscle twitches from my shoulder all the way down to my wrist. I asked my Doctor about this last month during my physical, she referred me toma neurosurgeon.

On 11/23, the day before Thanksgiving, I went in for my consultation. He did his physical examination then he did the EMG, sending electrical shocks up my left arm, and sticking a needle in various spots on my arm from my wrist to my neck. Afterwards the Dr told me he wanted to schedule an MRI. He told me he would have his office call me for an appointment.

When I asked him if he had any idea what is wrong (I had suspected nerve damage from an old injury). My Dr told me I had "acute" symptoms and then henwrote on a piece of paper 3 possible diagnoses: motor neuron disease; brachial plexopathy; spinal disease. No other explanation.

Of course when I got home I began to look online. Needless to say, I am so scared, I'm terrified I have MND. Now, I'm noticing twitches in my right arm where I never noticed them before. I'm not a hypochondriac, I'm not a hysterical person at all. I'm very calm and collected. But I cannot get this out of my head. My poor wife is now also terrified. I do not think I have the other symptoms, no trouble swallowing, no weakness in legs, no slurred speech. Is it possible that I'm exhibiting just the early signs?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

I really feel for you, a doctor should NEVER EVER, just note MND down on a piece of paper or the client, it's in the list of differential diagnosis, unless everything else has been eliminated as a possibility! It's just unethical.
I can imagine how scared you are and I am sorry your neurologist is a moron.
The best thing to to is concentrate on the fact that it's just 1 of the possibilities and the rarest thing on his " list".
It's far too soon for ALS to be mentioned. I am so sorry for what he has done.
The MRI will help shed light on the possibility of spinal disease.
I wish you the best
Aly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back