Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Il
City
Chicago
Hi Everyone,

I'm very concerned with some the symptoms I've been experiencing over the last few months. I've been tested for HIV, been to ENT, had blood done for CBC and thyroid, and so far everything has come back normal, except the ENT said I have inflammation in my throat.

About 3 months ago I started having weird throat pains that I have now progressed into throat inflammation and pain while swallowing. I'm also having brain fog, weird vision out of my left eye, nausea, muscle spasms and weakness in my arms, legs, left hand. I am scheduled to see a Neuro on Monday. I'm a 32 year old male who has always been in very good shape, up until the last month i would exercise 5-6 days a week.

Do you my sypmtoms sound like I have ALS? I know you can't diagnose with testing, but I'm wondering your thoughts. Thanks to everyone for the service you provide.

How on earth did you arrive at ALS with the symptoms you have? You have inflammation in your throat, which is most likely being caused by a virus or bacterium or allergies . . . and I'm sure your ENT told you that. I'm also sure that your ENT did not mention ALS, so it's obvious you're self-diagnosing with internet "research."

The virus or bacterium that is causing your throat inflammation is most likely causing your other symptoms. Seems pretty simple to me. Let your docs determine what is happening to you and stay the hell off of the internet because it is obviously not helping you state of mind. I'm sure you're going to be fine. Enjoy the holidays as best you can.

Hi Wright,

thank you for your reply. Your right I have been all over internet looking for answers. My ENT mentioned it was probably some kind of virus. I've always been a healthy person, and I'm only 32. What about the weakness, muscle spasms, and vision issues? Throat inflammation and swallowing pain? Aren't all these als sypmtoms? My heart also seems to beating hard, like pounding, and I'm having chest pains. I know this is not all stress related.

No most of your symptoms have no connection with ALS.
You have a very plausible answer from your well trained doctor and wright. But you are still attached to the ALS idea. I just want to scream....... Why?

I feel terrible and I'm really scared there is something seriously wrong with me. I'm pretty sure I have a neuro disorder. Based on my symptoms what neuro disorders should I ask my Dr about on Monday?

Don't ask the neuro about any neurological issues, its his job to analyze and examine you. If you start suggesting illnesses, the first thing that is going to enter his mind is that you have anxiety issues, and that in itself will probably make him less receptive to what else you have to say.

Just explain to him what problems are impacting your daily life, and let him sort out what it means.

Have you read these?
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-...ickies-first-read-stickies-read-stickies.html

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-...please-read-may-not-motor-neuron-problem.html

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/17071-some-advice-questioners-answerer.html

I feel terrible and I'm really scared there is something seriously wrong with me. I'm pretty sure I have a neuro disorder. Based on my symptoms what neuro disorders should I ask my Dr about on Monday?

If you want him to take you seriously, you won't ask about any specific disorders because you don't have any neurological symptoms. As he is likely to tell you at the end of your appointment.

I see that the holiday trolling season has officially begun. :roll:

You find that you get a big onslaught of worriers around this time of year? Suppose I can count myself in this group, so on behalf of all of us, many, many thanks for taking the time.

What makes you think you have ALS or any Neuro condition. You do not have any symptoms that at all align with MND. I think you need to update your browser because if typed in your symptoms and they brought you here or even suggested ALS or any Neurological disorder then something is seriously wrong.

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it. I thought muscle spasms, throat problems, brain fog, weakness in arms, legs, and hands were symptoms of Neuro disorders? It seems like I have too many symptoms to be coincidence.

Who said you have weakness in your limbs? Is that your perception or has a Dr advised you that you have weakness? There is a difference between perceived weakness and clinical weakness.

The virus you most likely have could be affecting your nerves and/or muscles and many other tissues in your body, which would explain your other symptoms. In almost all cases, the virus runs its course and all is then fine. Be patient and be optimistic that you will feel normal soon. In the meantime, relax and stop worrying about ALS, which is something you simply do not have.

I'm going to my 1st neuro appointment today so at this point my weakness is just my perception, but my coordination, balance, and senses just seem off. I hope this is just some kind of virus, but I've never been affected this way...plus my CBC was normal, after which my first Dr indicated that I didn't have an infection. I don't know what to think...I'm just scared. I will keep you posted on my Dr visits. Thank you all for taking the time.

All of the members here are firmly saying that you don’t have ALS. Still you are insisting on your words. I am curious to know what your neurologist tells you. Keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back