Diagnosis
10/1968
Country
AUS
State
Tasmania
City
George Town
As I understand it, the disorder, MND, is "characterized by rapidly progressive weakness, muscle atrophy and fasciculations, spasticity, dysarthria, dysphagia, and respiratory compromise. Sensory function generally is spared, as is autonomic, and oculomotor activity. ALS is a progressive, fatal, neurodegenerative disease with most affected patients dying of respiratory compromise and pneumonia after 2 to 3 years; although some perish within a year from the onset of symptoms, and occasional individuals have a more indolent course and survive for many years."(Wikipedia)

My question is: since my mental illness is bipolar disorder and I have suffered from this disorder for nearly 70 years, can I play a useful part at this site?-Ron Price, Tasmania

Do you have a MND as well as being bipolar? If not I'd wonder what you'd be able to contribute as they are completely unrelated.

AL.

The type of depression normally associated with bipolar disorder and the depression those with ALS suffer are caused by different things. In bipoloar disorder, as you know, it's a chemical issue.

With ALS--the depression seen is caused by the functional loss those with ALS suffer--treated differently as it's caused by different issues.

If you feel you can help someone who is depressed with moral support--the caretakers can use it--but ALS and bipolar are totally non-related conditions. It's kind to offer support--and I'd be willing to wager that there are multiple sites where your input would be valued with having this condition for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back