Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
UK
City
England
Hi guys/gals....I posted a thread on here, an ALS Poem entitled 'ALS Poem' lol - hardly original but I received a few lovely comments, in particular from Sequoia! I wrote it because at the time, my gut instinct (or paranoia) was telling me that this will be my fate in life and the wording of the poem just came from nowhere....it may not have been eventually related to me or my situation but perhaps someone somewhere reading it could relate to it's contents and may have served as a comfort?

In fact, since that time I had been proactively attempting to remove the poem, not because I was not proud of it but because in my naivety, I forgot to realise that as I typed my full name at the end of the poem, should I google my name into the google search box, so my ALS poem appears. I have two adorable children called Sam who is 13 and Fern who is 9. They mean the world to me. I adore them more than anything and I would always do what I can to prevent hurting them. I have dropped hints to them both that I have had lots of twitches and I'm being sent for tests to find out why I'm twitching but have not told them any more than that. I'm quite a realist with my children and just talk to them about anything frankly - no ugly surprises in their adult years. Of course I sugar coat most things in life naturally. I talk to them about age appropriate stuff however, I can't not tell them anything and then suddenly drop a bombshell to shatter their hearts, I drop little pieces here and little pieces there. What they know is that I twitch all over. What they know is that I have eventually plucked up the courage to go back to my dr to be sent to a Neurologist to try and find out why my muscles party on when there is no need. What my children DO NOT KNOW yet is that my muscles are weak. That I have tripped over a couple of times. That if I lift my leg for even a few seconds, they shake and I have to drop them due to their sheer weight and my lack of strength to keep them up. How my arms are so heavy and my lack of strength lifting them means I have to rest in between simple tasks such as combing my daughter's hair.

How if I smile or pull a face, my entire face twitches.

I'm loosing strength very quickly. I stated to Sequoia when she messaged me about my ALS poem that I have no right really to be an 'active member' until such a time where I feel I have the right to be here. I still have no definiate diagnosis. I have merely gone back to my GP who has sent final blood work before sending the referral to Neurologist. She tested my calcium levels, a blood test called ESR and something else (cann't now remember) but apparently if these come back normal, I'll be sent. Guess what, they have come back normal!

My first noticeable symptoms started in July of this year. I had gone along to a festival camping (as you do lol!). Weather fairly mild however, I found it oddly too cold and really really shivvered like entire body shaking....I sorta lost my appetite and noticed that multiple muscles were randomly twitching. I felt an off/on hot wax feeling running down my left thigh. My walking felt stiff. I was miles and miles away from home and so did not allow it to spoil the weekend however, upon my return home visited my GP to enquire about it. He did a few simple tasks to test my reflexes and as it was my first visit to them about this, he said not to worry, my reflexes seemed okay and said to see how it goes. Unfortunately it has not gone and we're now in October. My muscles twitch daily. My lower arm, my butt, my back on the side, my chest, my face.....I have cramp which are mainly in thigh and feet....my toes on left foot 'get stuck' and cramp and I have to manually lift them back again. I'm walking very stiffly. As mentioned above, I can only hold my legs up for perhaps two seconds before they visibly shake under the weight and I have to lower them. My arms can only be held upwards for a few seconds before I need to drop them. Even my fingers are a little stiff.

I of course cannot diagnose myself. I'm not hoping for someone here to diagnose me either. I have now plucked up the courage to face whatever it is that is malfunctioning and will face my fate hopefully with a little courage and dignity.

I have read many possible reasons for my symptoms. Of course I'm hopeful that it's something that isn't as final as ALS. I'm thinking perhaps MS, perhaps Fibromyalgia and maybe ALS. We'll wait and see. I've just lost so much strength since July. Even my breathing on occasion is short. Perhaps being a tad anxious about it can't help.

I don't know why I'm posting exactly because I'm not really sure what I want anyone to say about it. I suppose you've all been in this position where you're realising that something is going very wrong and are in process of being sent for investigations and our mind runs into overdrive. Perhaps I'm looking for reassurance. Perhaps I just want to hear from those who have 'been there'.

I feel the time has come maybe to stop being logged in and perusing all of your posts in an invincible way and make myself visible instead.

Sorry for long essay. It's hard before any diagnosis is given as I can't talk to partner, children, family and friends about this as don't want to a. worry them unnecessary or to b. give them a migraine going on about it all of the time and coming across as a health anxious freak!.

I have never been one for keeping long stories short lol! Verbal diarrhoea.

Thanks for reading,

Sal xxx

HI Sal

Muscle fatigue and muscle weakness are two entirely different things. Widespread fasciculations are a good sign that you actually do NOT have ALS. ALS fasciculations occur when the muscles are dying. By that time, there is notable loss of function--as in things you simply can not do, such as buttoning shirts or turning car keys.

If your clinical exam is normal--again, that points away from ALS. I don't know of anyone with an ALS diagnosis that has had a normal clinical exam. Again, this points in your favor as well.

All that said--there are a multitude of things that can cause muscle fatigue. Benign Fasciculation Syndrome is annoying, but not life-threatening.

At this point--I really don't see anything in your post that shouts "ALS" or even whispers it. Let the doctors do tests as they deem necessary. Welcome to the forum--and do yourself a favor--don't try to find answers on the internet. The Doctor in your search engine isn't a very good one, trust me on this one. Much of the information you read is just plain wrong, and other information is correct--but only if interpreted properly.

Best of luck to you

I of course cannot diagnose myself. I'm not hoping for someone here to diagnose me either. I have now plucked up the courage to face whatever it is that is malfunctioning and will face my fate hopefully with a little courage and dignity.

What fate would that be? Your symptoms don't sound much like ALS to me. Benign fasciculation syndrome? Possibly. Chronic fatigue syndrome? Maybe. Anxiety? Very probably.

Courage and dignity go a long way, but only if they are aimed the right direction. Give the neuro a chance to have his say before you write yourself off.

Knowing that you can not diagnose yourself, have you made an appoint an appointment with a neurologist to see what is going on? No need to assume the worst. I too have children that are 13 and 9 as well as 7. I certainly understand your wanting to protect them. Personally I would not be dropping hints until you know more. That is just my opinion. Get to a Neuro and get an experts opinion.

Good luck and I pray that you receive good news!

Thank you for taking time to respond to my long winded essay.

Yes, you're all right....I will wait until a Neurologist sees me and runs some tests. I'm a law until myself really and I do go into 'panic mode' not for little things such as headaches, general aches and pains (I'm actually a very patient person and not one to whinge about such ailments) but the four month long twitching, the heaviness of my limbs, the cramping etc, I've obviously become a little too presumptive and looking into things way too much considering that I don't yet know what is causing it.

It is hard because my GP wouldn't refer me to a Neurologist at the beginning of my symptoms. At the time, I could push his hands back and lift my feet upwards and he wanted to see if these symptoms would disappear of their own accord.

Between then and now of course I've wondered what might be going on. When I typed into the 'google search' twitching and weakness, what is one of the first things that come up....ALS! Rightly or wrongly, on the inside I'm someone who would find it easier to prepare for the worst. Yes this would seem completely potentially unnecessary however, I don't think I would be able to cope if I convinced myself that I'm fine to then be told I'm not. I sort of want to do things butt backwards.

As I've said, I'm a little law until myself and perhaps don't do myself any favours. I will calm down, not presume any longer until I know what is exactly going on and will go from there.

Regarding dropping hints to the children, it's difficult to explain myself properly writing a thread. I suppose none of you know me personally and know what kind of a relationship I have with my children. I should have worded it as 'dropping hints'. My son Sam was with me when he noticed my forearm twitching like mad and he noticed it. I've just said I've turned into a twitcher! We laughed about it. I talk to my children about anything and everything. They do not know anymore about it than that.

Thanks again and sorry if I offended anyone by being too presumptive! Sal xx

I have a daughter age 12. I have not told her anything but I have something that is making my muscles weak and I'm a drug trial that might help. At this age they do not need to know the particulars.
I wish you the best. Don't resign yourself until you see a neuro.

I'll keep this short and simple....try doing a search for Benign Fasciculation Syndrome....look for a site called AboutBFS.com...You will find an entire board full of people with your exact same story and symptoms....it has nothing to do with ALS, and you will find much support there...I can tell you rite now your neuro visit will be un eventful.

You are in the wrong place my friend...

Take care

Robynn :)

Last edited:
If you're going to hang around for a while, then you would be well-served to read not only the posts by other twitching folk such as yourself, but also the responses that a lot of people have given to those other folks who twitch and cramp and fatigue easily. It would save those of us who do answer questions in this forum the trouble of repeating things we've written dozens of times before just so you can indulge the eccentricity of thinking that you are a law unto yourself. Hopefully, that's not a new name for "hopeless cause", but as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Enjoy your stay on the board.

Stay positive , keep busy Idle hands are the devils workshop they say. Good luck you can always come here to talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back