Learn about ALS
Country
SWE
State
Skåne
City
Helsingborg
Hi guys,

Been over at the als.net website trying to figure stuff out and have met a lot of nice people there too. Since I started posting about my problems in December things have become worse. I know have more twitches in the left part of my body and also small ones in the palm of my hand. Some time large muscle groups just decide to go on a rally for a long time with twitches. In my left foot they are constant, never stop. Really annoying. My tongue has constant fasiculations and my upper lip keeps losing muscle tone, albeit very slowly. It also feels much harder to breath than before, like I can t breath in totally, in a sitting position this is much easier.

My swallowing has gotten a lot worse and there is a sound like a small burp when I swallow. A kind of sound like something has not been oiled well. Food often gets stuck and it is a very uncomfortable situation.

Well, I am still looking for the solution to my problem and my doctor sent me for allergy against titanium checkup. Nothing there, but I read a lot about it and now my doctor is talking with his colleagues about removing all of the titanium in my jaw. I hope that that may be the solution to my troubles.

Have any of you had metals in your mouth prior to diagnosis? My story involves both Lyme and Titanium. WHAT A MESS....

Titanium Allergies.....tell me more?

Surgical implants?

AL.

Going to have to research that one, didn't know it existed, interesting.

Surgical implants yes, 4 and half years ago I had titanium put into my mouth with screws. All 99% titanium and about 1% of other material. That is when my troubles started, with changes in my body. Before that I had the fatigue because of the tick bite.

When people were tested for titanium in one paper i read 0,6 percent showed reaction out of 1500.
That is about 7-8 people.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2008.01544.x/full

I also read this article by a dentist in sweden and I translated it for you.

"However, there are some studies that investigated the titanium / titanium dioxide effects on the immune system. It is rarely the issue of the usual type of allergy that can be tested by the skin test, but small titanium particles taken up by immune cells, causing them to produce radicals and cytokines, substances released into the bloodstream and cause inflammatory reactions. The MELISSA test reacts up to 10% of patients on titanium compared with just over 30% for mercury."

http://www.tf.nu/images/uploads/TITAN_ARTIKLAR_I_TF-BLADET.pdf

It is interesting to my case, anyhow.

Last edited:
If that's the case, then an inflammatory response would be obvious in blood tests. It's very interesting. Thanks for that
Aly

Yes and it was obvious to the german doctor through the Elispot test. Borrelia, Ehrlichia and Chlamydia Pneu cytokines were visible. But there are no antibodies. Lots of doctors agree that if there are no antibodies the reaction is only old garbage left. But my body can't get rid of the garbage because of the titanium, or other stuff, who knows. I'm just guessing.

Posted on my blog yesterday.

Something has to be done... really soon...

I have no allergy to titanium. At least not the normal skin kind.

I am still on my jaw doctor / surgeon to remove the titanium. I ve sent him three e-mails to get it done. I’ve looked for evidence on the net to find clues. Here are some of it. All fairly new sources.

They found that control individuals had very low levels of titanium in the blood whereas titanium concentrations were significantly higher for all the patients with implants. The sensitivity of the method was such that the researchers were also able to show significant differences in titanium levels for different types of bone fixation devices. The more invasive implants shed more metallic debris into the blood than the external, superficial designs. The work also identified how the titanium from the implants is transported in the bloodstream and potentially distributed and accumulated.

Heavy metal: Titanium implant safety under scrutiny

Nuevo-Ordóñez Y, Montes-Bayón M, Blanco-Gonzalez E, Paz J, Dianez Raimundez J, Tejerina Lobo J, Peña M, Sanz-Medel A (2011). Titanium release in serum of patients with different bone fixation implants and its interaction with serum biomolecules at physiological levels. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry; DOI 10.1007/s00216-011-5232-8

According to a swedish dentist this is what happens…

“However, there are some studies that investigated the titanium / titanium dioxide effects on the immune system. It is rarely the issue of the usual type of allergy that can be tested by the skin test, but small titanium particles taken up by immune cells, causing them to produce radicals and cytokines, substances released into the bloodstream and cause inflammatory reactions. The MELISSA test reacts up to 10% of patients on titanium compared with just over 30% for mercury.”

http://www.tf.nu/images/uploads/TITAN_ARTIKLAR_I_TF-BLADET.pdf
TF-Bladet. Hansson, Mats. Titan. Nr 1. 2010.

Unfortuneatly it is not looking so good with metals in the mouth and ALS is common, but there are at least some unusual recoveries after removing it.

The observation that in two different studies of 120 and 90 monozygous twin pairs only 2 pair respectively none were concordant for ALS development points to the role of an environmental factor inthe pathogenesis of ALS [88]. It is well known that neurotoxins, including heavy metals, induce selective death of certain groups of nerve cells [89]. Heavy metals have been linked to the development of ALS through environmental [59, 90–93] and occupational [94–9-7] exposure. One case study [96] describes the development of a syndrome resembling ALS after occupational exposure to mercury. The syndrome resolved when the exposure was terminated.
In another study of 77 ALS cases and 80 controls[91], exposure to heavy metals was connected to a high relative risk for the development of ALS.
However, other studies did not show any correlation between occupational heavy metal exposure and the development of ALS [98, 99]. Schwarz et al. [100] describes the development of ALS in a young nurse accidentally exposed to mercury from a thermometer plunged into the palm of her hand. Concentrations of mercury in blood and urine were in the normal range. The authors conclude that relatively small amounts of mercury may cause ALS without other signs of mercury intoxication. In one case study, the removal of metal fillings led to complete remission of ALS [101].
Metals may enter the CNS through the circumventricular organs and because of lipophilic properties cross the blood-brain barrier. A disrupted bloodbrain barrier increases this passage. Skeletal trauma and participation in sports are reported risk factors in ALS [102]. Mercury vapor is continuously released from amalgam fi llings and readily crosses the bloodbrain barrier. Within the brain it is oxidized to inorganic forms. While the half-life of mercury vapor in the blood is very short, the half-life of mercury stored in the brain can be over 20 years. Mercury has been found in nerve cells in autopsy analysis 16 years after mercury exposure [103].

http://i-gap.info/app/dokumente/Autoimmunity and metals.pdf

Neuroendocrinology Letters 1999; 20:351–364

So that is where I am. I may have titanium in my brain. It may or may not be deadly. Considering the fact that I may have it mixed with three other dangerous infections then I’d say I’m in quite a shitty situation. But I won’t know if I am one of the anecdotal cases until I try to remove it. After that I still have my vaccation in Thailand and a visit at my german friend.

Dear Mr.

This is very plausible. We can speculate what really cause immune responses, there are so many potential signal induction possible, but nanoparticals of Titanium might work like foreign antigens. What ever cause it we have to terminate asap. I know that on the surface of implants phagocytosis is reduced which means there is some antiapoptotic action. This means the dying
inflammatory cells (mostly neutrophils) are not disposed and cause the next inflammation cycle.

If you take out the titanium you might take out one potential source!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back