Not open for further replies.

Tako

Country
US
State
Florida
City
West Palm Beach
Hello everyone, I am a 19 year old male. I have had strange symptoms, i will explain what i think is the problem then you may shed some insight weather its ALS or other illnesses.

First off, This all started after i got in a fight, the person hit me 3 times in the left eye and once in the back of the head :evil:(I have a feeling this is the cause of my termoil) and when i was a kid (7 or 8 i think) i jumped off a pipe and landed on my butt (Litteraly ass in the grass) never went to the DOC for this, kinda just healed on its own. Thinking back i shoulda, i mean it knocked the frekin wind out of me lol.

I honestly dont think i have als but better safe than sorry, It started 2 years ago. I all of a sudden had this strange dizzyness, kinda like it took me 2 seconds for my eyes to catch up with turning my head(To left or to right) I understand this isent a symptom of ALS(Good)

3 months after that it went away and i started getting fasciculations all over my body(at this time i had no clue about ALS) Which i understand could be a whole slew of other things. So i decided at the time to go to the doc. They gave me a brain MRI to see if it was a brain tumor(Yah i kinda freaked) But it came out clean, only thing they found was "Low Foci points in the T1 Weighed area." Which my doc said wasn't anything big deal(Ok im happy) the twitches continued then i developed Floaters in my eyes(Quite annoying might i add) so i dident think much of it, i still to this day have them mind you. Also a feeling of a lump in my thought, food gets stuck there, some pain, pure annoyingness(Yah its not a word but im using it XD)

bout 1 1/2 year past, leading me to this point im at now. Lately when i sleep i get the feeling that my body from my neck down isent there(Which is just freaky) and when i do get up it seems to go away in 2 - 3 mins. My arms at times feel liek there are rubber bands pulling them back to my palm, one good sign NO WEAKNESS(Yay) but then again im not sure what weakness feels like. Also at times i feel MAJOR pressure in my right eye.

Now i bring you to these past 10 days The sleeping numbness stoped(partly) But now i see on my Rectus femoris(Kinda the side of thigh) There is an indentation that is slowly getting terraformed down in a dent . Again no weakness in affected limb(A good thing). last but not least excessive trembling when making fine slow movements. Ie.. bending over, turning hand in osculating motion, moving jaw up and down, ect.

So my questions to you all is, what could it be, i personally think its not ALS, but again you never know. And what order exactly does ALS go symptom wise? Is it:

Weakness
Twitching
Atrophy

Or what?

One more thing, what should i ask my GP when i go Monday? I figure you guys have more info on this kind of neuro stuff then i do.

thank you all in advance and a big thanks to AL for going out of his way to verify my email for me. your awesome :razz:.

It all could be connected to your head injury, there are all sorts of post concussion syndromes, vertebral artery damage etc. When you see your GP ask for a referral to see a neurologist. Doesn't sound like a MND of any sort, but you do need to have a review to make sure nothing sinister is happening. Make a list of your problems and take someone along with you, that often helps.

I Second Alyoop. Sounds like you still might be having some after lingering effects from that fight. I would also recommend on top of the advice of Alyoop to see an optamologist for your eye floaters. The punch could have damaged some parts of your eye and you need to get it checked out ..who knows it might lead you to your final diagnosis. The sleeping thing sounds more like sleep paralysis. Happens to a large amount of people when your mind is on but body is turned off and you freak out that you can't move...not a big deal...just scary. Hope this helps and good luck to you on your appt.

First, quit worrying about ALS. It strikes people normally in their 50-60's--not teens.

Your brain MRI was pretty normal, so that's god. Now, your next step is a referral to an ophthalmologist to be sure something wasn't damaged in your eye when it was hit.

Floaters aren't all that abnormal. I've had them for as long as I can remember. Fasciculations are also normal--we all have them to some degree--some notice them more than others.

If your floaters are combined with headaches, it's possible that you're having a kind of migraine headache.

A concussion can cause a lot of problems--see if your gp will refer you to a neuro--and before you see your GP, write down ALL the symptoms. What might not make a lick of sense to you, might well give them some important answers.

The throat can simply be something as simple as gastric reflux--especially if you're like most kids and drink a ton of soda or coffee.

Best of luck

You guys are awesome. I will do as you have said. And Notme you hit the nail on the head, i do have ARD, which is what im gussing is the cause of that.

Thank you guys, i was simply more using your guys hightend knowledge to see what questions i should ask my GP. As i said, i was pretty sure i DONT have als. And you guys pretty much confirmed that. I tip my hat(If i wore one XD).

one question you hvent answered though that i was curious about is the stages in which als starts, weakness ect...(Im not using this to put my self in fear just a question im interested in knowing.)

one question you hvent answered though that i was curious about is the stages in which als starts, weakness ect...(Im not using this to put my self in fear just a question im interested in knowing.)

Weakness first. Twitching is irrelevant unless confirmed as due to denervation. Finally, atrophy, which occurs after the muscle fibers have been denervated and become paralyzed.

None of which is relevant to anything you have described about your symptoms.

Go on about your way and have a nice life. Consider getting some psychological help for your health anxiety.

Im ok, you guys have cured my physiological issues. I think what was getting me so uptight is my great grandmother has Parkinson's, i think just seeing her like that got me thinking the worst.

You may lock this if you want. im done with questions about this, its clear i DON'T have ALS and im going to chill out, thank you all for my reassurance, you are all awesome people, and i hope a cure for this awful illness is found FAST!

Thanks Tako! You're a good guy. ;)

You don't have ALS but a GP isn't going to diagnosed you, you need to ask him to see a neurologist. Did they do an MRI of your spine? Anyways I wouldn't ignor your symptums, but you need to stop seeking answers on the web. Increase your water intake and see if that helps you in meantime.
Live your life, thats what your suppose to do, get off the computer and go out there and have fun.

You don't have ALS but a GP isn't going to ALS diagnosis you, you need to ask him to see a neurologist. Did they do an MRI of your spine? Anyways I wouldn't ignor your symptums, but you need to stop seeking answers on the web. Increase your water intake and see if that helps you in meantime.
Live your life, thats what your suppose to do, get off the computer and go out there and have fun.

No they did not give me a mri of the spine. I was prescribed one but i never went. Im probably going to get one though, its the only way to see what the problem is. So we shall see.

The reason im asking the people on the web isent for answers more than advice on what i should do. And since i know most of these people here know about neurological issues, i thought id seek some advice from here(That and all the other medical forums are dead). Sadly atm i dont have a car so its hard to get out, but that will change if this job interview goes well XD.

Thank you for the advice, and i will get an mri of the spine(My grandmother h8s it when i go for MRIs XD).

Hello everyone, I am a 19 year old male. I have had strange symptoms, i will explain what i think is the problem then you may shed some insight weather its ALS or other illnesses.

Dude, you have a bunch of symptoms that point away from ALS and pretty much no symptoms that would point towards it. You should definitely go to the doctor and try to figure out what's going on with your health, but put ALS out of your mind.

One final suggestion before they close your thread. ALWAYS make your doctor informed of any past injuries--especially head injuries!

ALS isn't what you have---but when you go to the GP, write a history and write the questions you have in advance. MRIs are harmless, no reason your grandma should worry about having one.

You only have 2 eyes--make sure your floaters are harmless. Your doctor will refer to a neuro if their tests suggest one is needed. Your symptoms aren't like ALS--but that doesn't mean that something can't still be wrong. Let the docs figure it out--and always avoid the doctor connected to your computer==he hasn't been to medical school!

One final suggestion before they close your thread. ALWAYS make your doctor informed of any past injuries--especially head injuries!

ALS isn't what you have---but when you go to the GP, write a history and write the questions you have in advance. MRIs are harmless, no reason your grandma should worry about having one.

You only have 2 eyes--make sure your floaters are harmless. Your doctor will refer to a neuro if their tests suggest one is needed. Your symptoms aren't like ALS--but that doesn't mean that something can't still be wrong. Let the docs figure it out--and always avoid the doctor connected to your computer==he hasn't been to medical school!

haha, indeed. I just hope i haven't w8ed to long. I understand that spine injury's can go unfound for years and can cause serious problems. Im hoping my doc will know what is happening the first visit.

Right now im kinda worried about my right thigh, it has a dent in it on the outer part, and i have this strange bump on my inside calve that has been coming and going for months now. Is there a chance(might sound nutz) this could be a virus or parasite? Ive never seen this kind of stuff and i have noticed Vein like tracks in my skin(not stretch marks they are much smaller and on my stomach.), Meh something i should really ask my doc... as a kid i used to play in some pretty nasty stuff XD.

But spine MRI is first on my list. thank you and im hoping its something treatable or something i can just live with with some kind of meds. right now though i need to get off the comp, my head and neck is killing me.

Most good GPs will start with a thorough physical exam. If that doesn't shed some light on the issues--they will order panels of bloodtests which can rule out or in a lot of things.

From there--tests can range from anything from MRI, CT to EMG/NCV.

No idea on the parasite question--not an area I know anything about. ALS would cause loss of function in some capacity. I do think something is going on with your symptoms--so do follow up with the GP--then come back and tell us what's really wrong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back