Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
London
City
London
Hi, my name's Paige and i am 18 years old.

Lately, I have been really worried that i may have ALS since coming across it on the internet and comparing it with my symptoms. I started to feel ill about four weeks ago with stomach pain, and back pain, however, since about three days ago my right leg has started to feel heavy/numb, along with my right arm feeling very weak. I am getting pains in my hands and pains in my legs, especially my thighs.

My strength is pretty much the same and I am still able to grip things tightly but my muscles hurt if, for example, i hold my leg up for a while. My right leg feels really weird and really heavy, but numb and stiff at the same time :S I am really scared that this is ALS and was just wondering if any one could give me their opinion?

Thank you.

Fortunatly, it's not ALS. Have you been to the Dr. with your symptoms? If not, make an appointment right away. Your health is nothing to mess around with.

Paige,

Numbness is not related to ALS. Neither is pain in your back, stomach, or legs without atrophy or weakness. If your strength is same...ie no weakness..then you do not have ALS.

Sounds like something is still going on, NOT ALS THOUGH, so go see your gp doctor. Get some general tests done before jumping to the conclusion you must have some rare disease....(You do NOT! )Good luck to you.

Sounds more like West Nile.. Go to your doctor ASAP

Hey.. thanks for the replies.
I do actually have muscle weakness, but not to the point that I can't hold things or turn doors and stuff, just feeling generally weak, heavy and achy. I have been to my doctor already and had blood tests, etc. done.. waiting for an ultrasound scan on Friday. Would a doctor be able to see if it was ALS by doing reflex tests, etc?

He would know it's not ALS because your symptoms aren't anything like ALS. It's something though. What did the Dr. say?

What are you getting an ultrasound of?

ALso, it is not considered weakness until a dr. says it is weakness. If you think you are weak then it is just considered fatigue and 'perceived weakness'..which may not be weakness at all until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
I went though dozens of different tests.. and dozens of different types of doctors.. Final Diag. was confirmed with a muscle biopsy. (took over a year)

I do actually have muscle weakness, but not to the point that I can't hold things or turn doors and stuff, just feeling generally weak, heavy and achy.

Then you don't have weakness. You can can stand in the garage and make "vroom, vroom" and "beep, beep" noises all you want, but nobody's going to believe you're a car.

Find an outlet for your obviously creative imagination. Paint a picture, write a poem, compose a piece of music -- all far better uses of your time than posting here.

Why worry? Go see your doctor.. You're a Female.. I thought it was only us guys that were too stubborn to admit they need / or god forbid actually go to see a doctor.. I see at least ten Doctors/Other medical professionals every 3 or 4 months.. (Needless to say I got over the doctor thing) I still don't like the dentist though.. He gets all worked up due to my choking. He just lays that chair back and in a couple of minutes I start choking even before I open my mouth.. Anyone else have that problem? I would think it would be common.. Anyone found a solution? Opps I think I went a little off topic..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back