Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
kansas
City
wichita
I posted about a month ago, at the time I was having thumb twitches and was a bit nervous.... I know you all probably get tired of answering quesitons about twitching, but I just can't help myself.

Recently I started twitching in more random spots of my body... most consistent is my right calf. My thumb has not twitched nearly as frequently as it had, but it comes and goes, good days and bad days...

Still no weakness or visible atrophy so Im relatively calm regarding this whole thing but the twitching is so very annoying.

If I can half flex my calf and it starts twitching, is that something to worry about?

I rode a stationary bike 7 miles the other day and after I got off I layed down and my right calf twitched pretty vigorously for 5-10 minutes... anything?

Alot of my twitches seem to occur after I do something strenuous like workout or grab something heavy, is that concerning?

Again I know this post will annoy some and you aren't doctors, just figured you could offer some help.

Thank you and I apologize, I will try and make this my last post.

Twitching after exercise is very common and nothing to worry about. Relax and be happy that you can ride 7 miles on a stationary bike.

Seriously.

In all my visits to neurologists in the past five years, I have never once been asked about twitching. Not once in five years. That's how unimportant that any twitching that I have has been to my doctors -- and I actually have ALS. Don't twitch very much, never really have, and certainly not all over my body. It was the other symptoms that got me to go to the doctor and eventually be diagnosed with ALS.

Good luck to you.

Thank you for the reply, I honestly feel ashamed to be so worried about something that I continue to hear is so common. I'm not a worrier by trade, but when I do I seem to take it over the top.

Again thank you for your reply and I will keep you in my prayers.

God bless you.

No need to feel ashamed about it. There is no doubt that there is some crazy misinformation about twitching out there on the Internet and, unfortunately, some of the old posts in the archives of this site are among the worst offenders. They slipped through when nobody was watching and got vacuumed up by the all-seeing eyes of the search engines. Now they're stuck out there like little flies in amber and they cause a lot of unnecessary heartache for a lot of people.

Shoot, you weren't even the first one today, for those living west of the Rockies where it wasn't midnight yet when you posted.

If the twitching gets really annoying, see your primary care doctor. If he thinks you need to see a neuro, he'll make the referral. Otherwise, there are some medications that can help to take the edge off both the twitching and the anxiety that they cause.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back