Loved one DX
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
Hi,
This isn't my first visit to the forum but it is as a member. My mother passed away from ALS about 4 years ago, she was diagnosed late, at 70 and it progressed quite rapidly. I am now 52 and over the last year have noticed some things that are frightening me. First off, I do have an apt. with a neuro, but I don't see him for 10 days or so. I should stay off the internet, but of course, that is just so hard to do. I keep hoping I will find some other alternate reason for my symptoms.

Last year I noticed that my L. foot didn't pick up when I ordered it too, it just sort of scuffed. I noted it at the time, but really didn't notice it again for some months. 4 months later, I tripped and fell which resulted me breaking my arm. A few months ago, I started to notice that my L. foot scuffed occasionally when I walked and now I can see that my big toe is not lifting properly and the smaller toes are getting numb alot when I am out walking. Of course, now that I have been on the internet, I keep thinking that my left fingertips are occasionally getting numb also.

One thing that isn't happening tho, is muscle spasms, or cramping etc.

I have always had problems with my feet as I have deformed arches (very high) and a shortened heel cord, but I have never had these other symptoms before.

Just wanted to post. Just needed to put it out there.
Wish me luck when I see the neuro.

The fact you have high arches can point to some types of neuropathy. These can lead to foot drop and sensory loss. The good news is that the sensory issues tend to point away from ALS.

An EMG can answer the question regarding wheter or not it's a neuropathy.

Good luck with your appt and don't bother worrying about als.

Since you have already had problems with your feet, it wouldn't surprise me that you would have a general problem that would be addition to it...esp. with a shortened heel chord...making it easier for your foot to 'drop' then to pick it up the front of the foot. Numbness doesn't point to als so you don't have to worry about als for that one. I can understand your concern, with your mother having died from it, it is only human nature. Wait for the neuro and see what they say. Try not to worry, and enjoy your holiday weekend.

Thanks folks! I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for just foot problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back