SEproud

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
United
:sad: If I am slurring (which I feel like I am) would I do it all the time? Is it just some words at first? What are common words to slur or that are difficult to say? Its been 9 -10 weeks since I felt like my throat had a lump. I guess if I'm starting to slur that would be a very bad sign. Can anyone tell me how I can tell if I am slurring. I think its a lispy sound. I dont have tongue weakness yet (or at least not on any of the tongue test I know of). Does anyone know if it's possible to pass the tongue weakness tests but still be slurring? thank you.

Has anyone else told you that you are slurring your words? If so, how often do they say you do it? If not, why are you worried about slurring that's not happening?

I have read people say that they notice it first. Is that possible?

Get tested. Get answers from a doctor. Not a message board. If the doctors say there's nothing wrong with you then consider getting psyche counseling.

neuro making me wait. its hard. :(

trfogey - you aren't being stern with me and telling me how silly I am :( that must mean it's really bad. i wish there were more bulbar self tests.

He's making you wait because he's not worried. He's not worried because he doesn't think you have ALS or anything life threatening if anything at all. Please get hold of yourself for heaven's sake! It's not hard for normal people. I didn't have as much anxiety as you and I have ALS!

Believe me when you are slurring you don't have to ask if you are YOU KNOW you are and you absolutely cannot control it. It doesn't come and go, it is always present. Relax and don't worry about it until the doctors tell you something concrete.

will i all of the sudden slur or will i think about it all the time until others start to notice. how long does it take to get worse. if it started 8 - 9 weeks ago would i see changes?

trfogey - you aren't being stern with me and telling me how silly I am :( that must mean it's really bad. i wish there were more bulbar self tests.

Now you are being silly. Stop trying to read meanings into what's not said. You have trouble enough comprehending what's said to you when you take it at face value. You don't stand a chance of puzzling out nuances or hidden meanings.

Your neuro said that your neuro exam was "perfect." BELIEVE HIM and stop this "but he didn't say" horse crap. You're beginning to sound like a three-year-old asking "Why why why?" and it's just as ridiculous, so I'll give you the same treatment you give a three-year-old.

Why should you quit worrying about having a dread neurological disease? Because your neuro freaking said so.

ok ok. but there are probably people that other people think are ok. and then their symptoms progress. how soon is too soon for the neuro to say your clinical exam is ok ?

Well that makes no sense at all. It's NEVER too soon before the doctor can say it's ok! If you are ok now, you are ok.

If you fall over and break a leg this week, develop pneumonia, die of the flu, then you are not ok!

You're right. You are going to die someday of something. Nobody know when or of what yet. Please take a deep breath and get some sense.

IF you think you are slurring all the time, then your conscious or subconscious mind will make you slur. Dr. said you are fine. Wait for the neuro appt and enjoy the holiday weekend. Stop worrying. There has never been a case with someone who ended up having ALS and being told by a dr. that they are 'just fine'. ..there are always early indicators...which your dr. obviously didn't see...so once again....your fine.

Someone said it was going to be a long weekend. LOL.

AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back