Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
Montreal
Hi, it is my first time on a forum but my level of concerns is pretty high right now. I hope somebody would have an idea of what is going on It all started three months ago with paresthesias on my left side and weakness on the right. I had an MRI of brain and cervical spine coming back with a mild spinal stenosis C5-C6 that I already had from previous surgery for a serious cord compression in 2004.
Doctor said this cannot explain the symptoms.
After three weeks, the paresthesias were gone, my balance and my weakness on the right seemed better but I started having fasciculations all over my body and my throat felt very tight and painful. I had an EMG (tongue and limbs), it came back clean. Next appointment with neuro in two months.
And then I started having swallowing difficulties with some food, they get stuck at the back of my throat and I need water to wash it down otherwise it comes back through my nose. Then the pain was gone in my throat, my limbs felt better and I though everything would come back to normal but after 7 good days, it is all coming back. Now there is no pain in my throat but it feels like something is missing and the swallowing difficulties are there all the time, the weakness is back on my right side and I noticed some muscle wasting on both sides of my left hand (it looks like somebody had pull all the air from it). Three months ago I was a perfectly active and healthy 49 year old woman and now I feel like my body is giving up on me. Has anybody seen or heard such a quick presentation of ALS? Thanks J.

No, and you don't have ALS, so go on and find out what is really wrong with you.

You're lucky, you don't have ALS! I hope you find out what it is soon and I wish you well. Good luck!

ALS symptoms don't come and go -- they come and stay, getting nothing but worse. Don't know what might be the cause of your problems, but it is extremely unlikely to be ALS or any other MND.

The best course of action for you at this point is to get off the Internet and get yourself to a doctor's office. Then, stay off the Internet medical sites until the doctor (or, more likely, doctors) tells you what's wrong with you. Then, you'll know what is relevant to your condition and what's not, and you'll be able to find useful information rather than irrelevant information that scares you to death.

Good luck to you.

trfogey is right, ALS symptoms do not wax and wane persay. You wouldn't get bad and then get better. Viruses or imbalances in the chemicals/electrolytes/vitamins can cause this. Also you EMG came back clear so stick with that. Get tested for viruses, blood count, vitamin deficiencies, potassium check, and lyme if you have not already. I do not believe you have ALS but possibly another illness that would most likely be curable :) Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back