Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ky
City
lexington
I have been pondering through this site for about a month now, just to get some ideas and what not after haveing all of my mris and lp come back negative for MS a month ago

my neuro (which iam in a current situation getting new one) said all was ok(as MS GOES) i looked over everthing was normal, but symtoms are still definetly there ,but NO ALS diagnosis

I will list my symtoms and if any are familiar and would mine sharing your opinions or any ideas/suggestions they are apprectiated greatly as iam getting quite worried and dont know when my next appointent even is,

1) BACK in November twitching startd maninly legs sometimes arms, and now face, they happen every day but dont bother me as they can be nothing ,they dont worry me ,but seem to fit in my picture as a puzzle pieace

2)Jan lower back spams starts (figured oh i hurt it sometime yata yata) went to Dr got flxoral didnt help ,but went away days and came on some days, (no biggie just painful)

3) Weakness came on put me in the bed yes, i could still stand (unassistated) but went to the ER bc i never felt that way in my ENTIRE LIFE (few days before mouth startd quivering when smiling and still does this) it seemd to have gotton better but then came right back.. I do relieze people here describe this weakness in differnt ways like some its a noodly feeling, or a i cant do it any more feeling, or a feeling of not moving fast anymore, i cant still do but not like i used to.

4)when i hold say my steering weel, or go swimming and you know how when your little you go and hold youslef in the water up because you feel weightless and do pull ups or hold yourslef with one leg.. well when i do this now i shake very badly i can not even squat and hold it without shaking, or go bathroom and stand up without falling over or shaking comeing back up

5) Balance. it has gotten worst past month i trip on a lot or fall over all the time.

6) Stiffness. espically in my feet that NEVER goes away on rest or stretch or walking just its like when i walk iam walking on a big ball of glued stiffness this is a new thing i used to get stiff sometimes ,but not constant when i havent been doing much i bend my feet or strech nothing helps , my hands have been starting lately to feel somewhat like my feet.

7)Muslce Atrphy. I will be honest what I SEE could be in my calf.. now i cant say if i do or i dont because thats something i would not be able to honestly honestly tell or measure. so i cant say yay or nay on this....

***these symtoms have been since all in a 5month time frame.. iam still ABLE and walk just not anything like before I haVE recently been getting a sore throat which the DR cant find as why i would?.. and i get charlie horses also... BUT not charile horses everyday, and a stiff neck could be anything as the throat, its gets worst then gets little better then comes right back, and congestion but not much (congestion eneough for a horase voice not to yell and lots of snot bugers haha)Also i have gotton over just a virus they "seem to think" in my tum tum and Iam so weak now its hard to stand for long periods of time ,but this could also soley be from me being weak from before?

well iam not sure if i have done a well eneogh job explaining myself or this was to long i was trying to explain how i would to a doctor
THANK YOU

Okie Dokie. Here we go.
-Stiffness is not a common sign of ALS.
- What did your neuro say besides that it was not MS? I am assuming you must have had a clear neck and brain mri. I am wondering if you had clinical signs of weakness or problems when they did their initial test...if not then there would not have been red flags to send you down the ALS diagnosis route.
- Yes, A virus could do all that to your body. ...esp. the weakness.

If I were you, I would:
1. Ask for my medical records from your first neuro- you have a right to all notes, tests...etc. See what they say...if you have no clinical signs then that is a good thing and you really don't need to look further.
2. Sounds like you are already on the hunt for a second neuro. That is fine if you are worried about it, just make sure that you don't immediately jump to the conclusion that you have als. Let the neuro do their job and their tests they feel are appropraite. If they are worried about problems they will order the correct tests for you.
3. Your time has been short - esp. coming off of a virus. I would wait a little bit if you can...it is going to take a while anyway to get a neuro appt would be my guess so just rest, take time off, and get better. Your symptoms could go completely away once you are fully over this sickness...it does take a while to get it out of your system...esp. if it was bad enough. (months...not days)
4. Try not to worry at this point, there are still many different possibilities. Make sure you are tested for these speciality tests: Lyme, Vitamin Definicienes, Potassium, and blood checked out for normal things.
5. Good luck!

No i had these issues way before the Virus, i have Just gotten substantially weaker on top of weaker then before in my legs which makes me not be able to walk or stand more then 2 minutes (since mid/end 2010)

Dr stated i had brisk reflexes, i didnt have Lymes, or Fibro, or Vit def or allergies reactions, so he left it as an ABNORMAL nervous system, thats not right ALS or not we all know our bodies and too many missing pieces to the puzzle to get worst like the balance and what not tripping falling in thw shower getting up from the bathroom like i have been drinking.. So this Neuro i did not like him.

He once said no MS means clear BRAIN MRI.. noo thats wrong so iam sure he never heard or is an expert in any other fields so New neuro it is. I was concernd with my systems as what they may mean, my New Dr. i went to said it is concerning and i need a new neuro or possibly going to Duke University iam just very scared.

if i could just brush the issues off for the mean time ,but they are rather Impossible

ALSO , what do you say about my other symtoms I just see your other postings, and see that you startd out with balance issues?..

I understand your fears and sympathize with you. I see Dr Bedlack at Duke, and if anybody can find out what's going on he can. He is one of the best in the country. I will keep you in my prayers and let us know after your testing is complete.

Hugs

I am trying to get my stuff in and go to this new neuro and try her out my dr said BEFORE an Duke refferal (i dont see why as this is all out of pocket more $$) ,BUUUTT.... no choice

Twinnmommie... what did you percieve of my symtom's?......

curious?...

You seem familiar. You've been here before under a different name.

"and i have balance issues, which have seemd to gotton worst which i never paid attention till now, i walk and all unassisted but still iam weak in feb when all this strtd my left arm was twiching very badly and i got sooo weak during"

Yup, munecagirl.

oh no iam sorry that is not me i juat joined yesterday sometime why does she have the same issues as me? :(

Yes, you should read her link for any questions you may have. It's under the section "Do I Have ALS". I'll try to find it for you.

Well, that one has a lot of negativity in it but if you can get past that, there are answers to most of your questions if not all. Please check out the Stickey Posts and also the posts in the "Do I Have ALS" secition. Good luck!

Well, that one has a lot of negativity in it but if you can get past that, there are answers to most of your questions if not all. Please check out the Stickey Posts and also the posts in the "Do I Have ALS" secition. Good luck!

well well thank you for the Informations iam not quite sure how iam related to her or anything about these links yes i did read them BUT if my story if read correctly or how i percieve this to be then, no she does not seem to have the quite the same issues as myself

Are you saying this to me because we have similar sytems and they started the same times? I never stated anyone here was doctors what so ever i came here for opinions only.I never disrespected you or anyone here iam like everyone else i NEED and WANT answers or opinion's if you didnt want to answer me then its simple... DONT

I have read all the stickies since for a few months now, i didnt post anything for this reason in fear someone would lash out at me harshly i thought the way i put things maybe it would not offend anyone and i could get some true thought and opinions i have read proabbaly every post on here and keep up with it.

This is awful diease and my heart is out to anyone with this. BUT I MAY HAVE THIS ALSO! and my appointment is far far off and thats why iam asking for opinions

I wish all i dealt was with the issues in the stickies, tho they are quite good for many many others who come here just w a virus anxiety isssues etc etc...

MY issues i explaind in the top were somewhat differnt in the stickies .. and i wanted opinions on the issues iam dealing with not someone elses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back