Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
West Yorkshire
City
Leeds
Hi everyone .. newbie here ..just starting the diagnosis train, appointment with neuro at end of July.

Right hand/arm problem began about five weeks ago with severe pain on back of hand, no obvious cause. Then three weeks ago, coming on over period of two days, significant pins and needles, "heaviness", "weakness" in right hand/arm. Muscles were rather sore, arm felt like "did not belong to me". Actual strength seemed OK, but muscles hurt when used. Relatively easily fatigued (with pain). Over last two weeks fatigability has increased dramatically, now arm painful just holding a kettle for less than a minute. Strength diminished but not severely. Muscle cramps and pain common in forearm and in upperarm. Muscle twitching in base of thumb muscles when contracted, does not appear to be any fasiculation when muscles are at rest. Save that have little finger muscle spasms fairly frequently. Is this fatigue an indication of muscle weakness? Could it be early signs of ALS/MND?

many thanks for your precious time.

hi lordjohn..........your just a few miles away from me,its a small world lol.

what you describe is definatly not the type of weakness you get with als/mnd.
seems you may have more fatigue than weakness,true clinical weakness is detected by a neuro.
clinical weakness usually comes about gradually unless its something like a stroke,you describe yours as sudden onset.
could be carpel tunnel with the pins and needles,this can effect your wrist and up into the lower arm.
best to wait for your appointment,is it at jimmys or the hospital near the university?
take care.

I think the best summary of what MND weakness feels like would be "puzzling inability to make motions, starting with against resistance, then even without resistance".

That isn't to say we're 100% without muscle fatigue, but not in the primary body part - usually it comes on from the other muscles that are making up the difference. Like if you can't bend you knees, your hips and lower back have to turn and swing your legs around a lot more, a heavier workload as you can't make proper walking motions.

What you describe sounds like carpal tunnel or muscle problems, not MND.

Hi olly, Beky
Thanks for replies, pleased to have made contact. Appointment is at Bingley (NHS but at private clinic). CTS is possible, seeing GP on Monday for reflex testing. Cramps and twitches are in upper arms and little finger though. Also have unsteady gait, easily trip over things, but have always been clumsy, no footdrop a good sign. Have pain swallowing, on right side only. Usually cough after swallow, sometimes need two goes swallowing liquids. Swallowing not a major problem though.
Thankyou very much for your time, all best wishes.

The sudden onset of symptoms in your case is much more indicative of some type of injury that is causing compression of the nerves in your arm. Given how high up it extends, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that you've got some kind of problem in your neck.

ALS muscle weakness is caused by the progressive paralysis of bundles of muscle fibers that, grouped together, make up our muscles. If you don't have anything becoming paralyzed, you don't have ALS.

Good luck to you.

bingley is near bradford right? why are you going there and not leeds?
you did not mention the unsteady gait in your first post ,that may indicate something neurological but not neccisarily als.
the swallowing issues are clearly not bulbar symptoms but something else going on............you would not have pain in your throat and you dont start with limb and bulbar problems at the same time.
a neurologist is the best person for a clinical exam to test reflexes ect,a neurologist will not take into account what your gp noted ............there far superior for that.

Wait for the Neuro to diagnose. Good luck.

Sudden onset, pins and needles are both indicators that don't point to ALS. Pins and needles is usally associated with sensory loss- again not ALS. And ALS is fast, but not that fast...doesn't follow suit. And with it just being arm and you are in the early stages of whatever it is you have, I would suspect more of a pinched nerve or carpel tunnel. Have you talked to your regular dr. ? They would be able to tell you if you had 'fatigue' or clincal weakness. I suspect though if you have been referred to a neuro that you had clinical weakness. Good luck, don't worry yourself though as it sounds like you could have just tweaked something in your upper arm, shoulder or neck causing this weakness and numbness.

thanks everyone for your replies ... please continue to support those of us seeking answers .. despite some of us being a pain in the butt sometimes. I will have to come up with a really good signature! God Bless to all

Certainly doesn't sound like ALS symptoms to me, but I have learned that plenty of other things can cause weakness and some of them aren't very nice either. Good to see you're getting it checked out, and good luck

Where will you go for answers next? A neurologist I hope. Good luck John!

Yep have neuro appointment on 30 July

hi lordjohn,i am sorry that your gp appointment has not been reasuring.
can't really say anything helpful at this point other than "chin up"............there are so many curable or treatable things it still could be.
hopefully when you see the neuro and have a clinical exam they maybe able to give you a better idea of whats going on.
just don't fall apart on us till then ok..........listen to aunty caroline,you know it makes sense.

ps,you may want to add a few dots between "you" and "dave" lol.............love it.

Muscle loss, pins & needles, spasms, both legs at same time

Third thread, symptom
On Monday GP/Doctor said look at yourself for any muscle loss (see second thread). Noticed significant muscle loss from last year, calves, buttock muscles and others in both legs. Loosing weight recently 20lbs in 6 weeks but on strict diet. For last three weeks have also had pins and needles mainly front of legs above ankles. Now experiencing spasms and crawly feeling muscles front of legs. Clumsy on feet, loss of balance, some shuffling. Did mention to Dr, reply was neuro consultation end of July. However Babinski reflex OK and no footdrop. Weird, fast, both legs, not ALS/MND ?

Many thanks notme. Yes.. did phone later to ask what tests were .. Blood Count and Serum C I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back