Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Brampton
Hello, I am a 21 year old male and I think I may have a motor neuron disease. My symptoms first began with depression in January 2011. I used to suffer from depression related to school (I felt sad and anxious over my future, thought I wouldn't be able to get a good job, my education would be useless). This depression was often severe and irrational. Later on in the year in April 2011, I began to suffer from muscle twitching in my thighs and calves, almost everyday about 20-30 times. As the days went by, it seemed as if my symptoms were getting worse. I further began to have muscle jerking during light sleep (i.e. my arm would jerk out, or my finger would move etc). Furthermore, I began to have problems with my throat. It wasn't necessarily difficulty swallowing but it felt like something was stuck in my throat. This would gradually get worse throughout the day, where in the morning I wouldn't have this problem but at night it became more evident. However, I have no problems eating, and eating actually helped alleviate the problem. I have also had a history of teeth grinding since the age of 11 or so, but I only grind my teeth during the day and it is voluntary, leading to relief. It is sort of a compulsion. Similar to how I grind my teeth, I also have a compulsion to twist and move my lower torso/hips. This problem has also been occurring since I was 11 years old. Lastly, I also have stiffness in various parts of my body, (i.e. neck, stiffness, lower back) where sometimes it is more pronounced, and others I don't feel any stiffness. However, I have begun to experience severe pain in my left leg/thigh, which gradually and progressively gets worse as the day goes on. In the morning, my leg feels fine but as it gets closer to night, I experience severe pain, especially when getting up and sitting down. Originally, I was so convinced I had Huntingtons disease, despite the lack of family history and my young age. Now I am worried that I may have some sort of motor neuron disease. I have been to the doctor's and he has done the standard Babinski test and I tested negative (my foot did not move). Also, he did the knee-jerk test, and my knees responded both times. I have been trying to figure out exactly what is wrong with me. It is really frustrating me especially because I am so young and people my age should be having fun, enjoying life but for me it feels the exact opposite. Do my symptoms resemble any sort of MND? I'm sorry for the very long post, but I needed to get all that off my chest, and need someone to talk to. What do you guys think it is?

You have no weakness/ no ALS.

Yeah I was quite sure I don't have ALS, but do other MNDs also involve weakness? I know I have some sort of neurological problem,now the problem is figuring out which one.

Go to a neurologist. We are not doctors. Nothing you say screams MND to me, but I am not a doctor.

With the twisting thing you're doing in your hips/torso area, it's entirely possible you've pulled or pinched a nerve or injured something in your spine--or something in the spine causing the need to 'move' it around.

Honestly--it doesn't sound neurological at all. See your GP and see if they can check out your spine. MND doesn't ever IMPROVE--it gets progressively worse.

I've been to the doctors, numerous times over the past few months. I have a neurologists appointment scheduled for late July. I understand you are not doctors, I just thought that perhaps you guys would know something about my condition or know someone else who experienced similar symptoms. Furthermore, I have an MRI scheduled for my spine as well. Thanks for the help though.

The good new is all your symptoms except 1 point to anxiety issues......widespread twitching, depression, tight throat.
Your compulsion to move your legs could possibly point to restless leg syndrome, which although annoying, is a benign syndrome, for which treatment is available. Your neurologist may well be able to help you with this.

Don't let yourself get over anxious about having als, you don't and your symptoms will worsen.

Aly

Ok, I'll bite.

1. You're 21--ALS usually strikes those over 40-50 years of age.
2. If you read any of the sticky posts--you'd have read that twitching doesn't mean ALS
3. Muscle jerking during sleep is actually quite common--it happens when you are either falling asleep or waking up most often. Sometimes even a dream can cause it and we 'move' in our dream.
4. Stiffness that comes and goes--again, ALS, if you read the sticky posts--doesn't come and go-it just gets worse--with weakness and loss of use.
5. The fact that you convinced yourself you had Huntingtons despite the fact that it's a genetic condition that your parents didn't have--suggests that you have a problem with health anxiety.

So, in essence--no one here isn't saying something isn't going on with you. What I'm personally saying is that it's extremely unlikely that it's ALS--as you have no progressing weakness.

It's good they are doing an MRI--something spinal sounds plausible with your symptoms. There is nothing in your symptoms that suggests ALS, though--which is GOOD news for you. Definitely let your doctors find answers--but for heavens sake, stay off the internet looking for answers--you'll only scare yourself and make your symptoms worse.

Grinding your teeth can definitely lead to head/jaw pain. Treat your depression as well. Depression isn't something that's just in your head. It's proven to be caused very often by chemical imbalances that can be treated effectively with medications.

Feel better and good luck to you.

hello there I was diagnosed with als oct 2007 and it hasn't been easy. I went many exams and tests before being diagnosed. X-ray,cat-scan,evoke-potential/for ms, various blood work to rule out everything from copper deficiency to lime disease and hiv, cardio-test to rule out asthma and possibly others, various dexterity and coordination tests, the hoffmans test scratch hard on the palm of your hand with car keys if your chin twitches it is possible you have a mnd, I finally got an emg done along with a nerve conduction test at the same appointment, I may be leaving 1 or 2 out however it is not likely you have a mnd. If you get further testing as negatives you still have to get additional studies to be diagnosed. I hope you don't get worse but I would still bet against having a mnd even if you do. I wish you well.

Your symptoms do not point to an MND/ALS. Depression/anxiety is a serious disorder in itself and you need to figure that one out first with a therapist before dr.s will even really think about other disorders. It is amazing what depression and anxiety can do to your body...as I am sure you know because you are already experiencing ill effects from it...poor sleep(twitching during sleep), twisting torso...which would I am sure cause stiffness and pain in your lower body if you do it enough, and grinding teeth...not to mention head pain,neck pain, and soon no teeth. For this i would even maybe suggest trying to eat ice instead...still not wonderful for your teeth but better than intentionally grinding them. Doesn't sound like you need a neuro, but the mri spine is a good thing at this point incase of pinched nerve from your twisting.

As for being young and feeling like you should be having fun...believe it or not I see you eye to eye on that one. It is hard especially when your body doesn't cooperate with you. As hard as it is, say no for going out for a night. Know your limits. I know many times I would be half way through a party and realize within the next twenty minutes that I would collapse from exhaustion if I did not stop, you have to learn to say no and know that your real friends will respect your reasons and let you rest. Ie. if you can't run a mile, then don't. Walk it at your own speed instead. And remember this one thing especially: You have not been diagnosed with anything and as far as you know at this point all your problems may just go away with some therapy and time. Remember, some of us are not so lucky and have been diagnosed with a terminal disease young. Just keep that in mind through your healthcare travels. Best of health to you.

Yeah I was quite sure I don't have ALS, but do other MNDs also involve weakness? I know I have some sort of neurological problem,now the problem is figuring out which one.

All MNDs involve weakness because they involve the progressive paralysis of muscle fibers. When motor neurons die, the muscle fibers that they control are disconnected from the system and don't respond to commands from your brain any more. The resulting weakness in the muscle is proportionate to the proportion of muscle fibers that are paralyzed.

No progressing weakness -- no MND. It's that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back