Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
kansas
City
wichita
I know this has probably been asked on this forum multiple times... I can't help but to be a bit nervous though.

I am a 24 year old male currently playing minor league baseball.

After our last bus trip, I woke up with my arm dead asleep. From that point on, my left thumb has been twitching sporadically. The part of the thumb that has been twitching is the part between my wrist and the base of my thumb on the palm side of my hand. I want to believe this is a nerve issue from falling asleep on my arm but I've never experienced anything like this and of course when I first searched for twitching thumb ALS was the first thing to pop up. So needless to say I am a bit nervous. I felt my thumb twitching on and off on the mound tonight. I have a few questions for those of you with more experience in this area...

1. I don't believe I have any weakness in the thumb which i have heard is the first sign I should have had, is this true, can twitching be a first sign?

2. For anyone who has been diagnosed after experiencing twitching, how long did your twitching last? (constant? on and off?)

3. It seems my thumb twitches more after physical activity, does this mean anything?

4. My right arm has had a few twitches for the last 2 days could this mean anything?

5. Has anyone had this happen that had it diagnosed as something else? What else could I be experiencing?

6. What else should I be looking for?

To sum my post up, no I do not think I have ALS, but as I said, I am a bit nervous about what could be going on with my body. Any and all help is very much appreciated and again I apologize for repeating what I'm sure has been asked so many times before.

I have a very good family friend with ALS and I know first-hand how hard it can be for people fighting this. My utmost thoughts and prayers are with anyone fighting ALS I wish you only the best.

Thanks,
Marc

First, if this has only been going on a couple of days, you have nothing to worry about. Being a ball player--it's most likely that you've got a pinched nerve--are you by chance a pitcher or a catcher?

Having body parts fall asleep isn't really a worry, either. If you ask your friend, the first thing he probably noticed that worried him was some body part that didn't work properly--weaker, unable to do simple things he/she could do before.

In my personal case; and I'm not diagnosed, I had no twitching at all until after I'd already lost function in my thumb and first finger. That can be a nerve entrapment.

Twitches, with no loss of function, are harmless.

I am a pitcher... I know I really shouldn't worry as much as I do, but seeing a good person suffer has made me very aware of this disease.

In his case, he had a significant weight lifting injury that tore his shoulder and gradually lost use of that side arm, it wasn't until it progressed to the other arm that he got tested and diagnosed.

I find comfort in the fact that most things I hear are that twitches without weakness or atrophy or loss of function are benign, but it still makes me nervous since I need my left hand to throw.

Thank you very much for your response I will be praying for your personal situation and I hope the best for you.

I found those before and find them to confirm a bit my thinking that I am ok...

I haven't told pitching coach, have mentioned to trainer and he doesnt seem to be concerned, but I'm not sure he realizes I'm serious that I am concerned there is SOMETHING going on whether its a pinched nerve etc...

That's why I turned here, like I said I know i repeated what many have asked before, but I figure theres people here who have first-hand accounts of what I'm going through.

Thanks for the reply

Hi

Let me suggest that if the symptoms continue, you see an ortho to see if there is a strain injury from pitching--entirely possible--or a pinched nerve.

It's not that unusual to panic with every little thing when someone close has the disease--it's not necessary--but it's not that hard to understand. BUT--don't let it take over your life. With your being a pitcher--it's much more likely to be an injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back