Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
UT
City
Centerville
Hi everyone,

I am trying to find the early stages of ALS, and how long it takes to develop them, but I can't find anything that gives rough timelines (I know everyone is different, but I'm just curious). I'm 27 and male.

I am (was?) an avid runner, completing several marathons. About 2.5 months ago, however, I found that i couldn't run anymore. I went from running 30 miles a week to 0, basically overnight. I would kind of limp/hobble -- and it was immediately, not after a certain distance. It feels like my right leg isn't pushing off as hard as it should be. It also feels fatigued very quickly. I can run (steepish) downhill almost normal, but can't run uphill at all. Walking is fine, but every once in a while if I'm walking fast and uphill for a little over ways, I will have difficulty walking. My foot will hit the ground early, unintentionally.

From what I've read on these forums, I don't have a lot of symptoms that other people have said. I can walk on my toes and heels. I don't trip over carpet. I don't have any muscle twitches. I went to the neuro and got an EMG, all nerves look good and no abnormalities in muscles. I got bloodwork done and everything is normal. I have a followup appointment in 2 weeks.

Now for the questions. What kind of timeline does "normal" ALS follow? It's been 2.5 months and I haven't felt like it's gotten worse since then, is that typical?

Thanks for your help.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason why you are thinking of ALS. There are gazillions of neurological disorders that can cause these types of symptoms , believe me.with a good EMG it is very very unlikely you have a MND of any kind. Just keep away from this site and wait out the 2 weeks before you have your follow up. Write all the questions down before you go and take someone with you to help you get everything answered.

Please just be patient, neurological disorders are complicated to diagnose. I am still waiting after 4 years!

Aly

Yes;

It does appear that you have made a quantum leap. Be patient and wait for an in-depth discussion at your next appointment.

Try writing out your questions in advance...hoping that you have a good outcome.

Now for the questions. What kind of timeline does "normal" ALS follow? It's been 2.5 months and I haven't felt like it's gotten worse since then, is that typical?

Given the fact that you don't have ALS, I'd say your progression is right on track. Why would you expect to get worse if you don't have the disease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back