Learn about ALS
Country
ca
State
bc
City
vancouver
Hi Everyone,

I just recieved my first appointment with the neurologist it will in mid june so about 3 weeks from now, I also have a nevre conduction test scheduled for july 25 , I wanted to thank everyone for thier comments on my previous posts, this has been going on for a while now so it will be nice to find out what it is I have posted a video of the strange rippling I am getting in my calves also they seem to be kind of dented, I hoping someonelse might have experienced this or maybe have seen it before?

I have posted a video of my rippling calves on youtube the link is below

YouTube - ‪muscle rippling.AVI‬‏

Thanks everyone for you support I will keep you posted on the neuro and test results

Did your legs do that at the doctor's office? Maybe call the office and see if they'd like to see it. I have no clue. All I can say is that my daughter's biceps and triceps do that--and I'm pretty sure she doesn't have ALS, if that's any comfort.

Your calves look very large--I'm assuming you work out? Excessive exercise can cause the muscles to do all sorts of weird things. Good luck with your appointments.

Thanks for the reply,

when I first went to the walk in clinic about 7 motnhs ago they didnt but when I recently went they had started doing this, This is kinda what got me worried, for months they would have fasticulations and the areas where they were fasics are were the indentations or grooves are. i havent seen any weakness but my legs have always been my weakest muslce group from a gym aspect. i do exercise but very rarely on legs other than running and stepper machine.

one doc thought that mybe the constant fasci were acting like a toning exercise but my calve muscles are much smaller than they use to be

What makes you think this is not BFS? As I understand it, you do not have any weakness or atrophy, right?
I have this over whole body for more than 4 years...its just BFS.

Replayed your video...these are not even sporadic fasciculations that one would expect with ALS, afaik, this is called contraction fasciculation and it has no relation to ALS. As your muscle relaxation is delayed, particular muscle bundles (fascicles) are relaxed not in the same time, giving this appearance. I think you will be fine.

thanks,

for the responses, these ripples only seem to happen on contraction, I also have a hard time keeping the muscle contracted, and I get fasciculations in my calves when the muscle is at rest but they look different more like twitches or flickers every 10 or 20 seconds. I havent seem to have any weakness but where the fasciculations are occurring the muscle has indented itself i dont know if it is atrophy but my wife says it looks like some took a iceream scoop or a melon baller and grooved the muscle. it really weird just thought i share. I feel better that I finally got a appointment booked to see the neuro, and ncv test.

i guess now is just wait and see time

thanks for all the support

hi patrick,yes indeed you do have a great deal of fasic's and when there that bad people most definatley think there related to als.
however thats not always the case,als fasic's can be very discreet and not always noticed by the patient.
having fasic's like yours for so long with no clinical weakness is a good sign there benign,by the way have seen many videos of bfs in the calfs just like yours.
you mention difficulty in contracting the calfs...........its clearly nothing to worry about if you have no clinical weakness.
loss of contraction in the calf is called hypotonia or loss of contraction and is clinical weakness caused by a motor neuron lesion among other things.......its the muscles natural neurological ability to contract nothing to do with exercise and i have this.
wait and see what they say at your appointment.
oh and patrick,stop annoying your calfs by contracting them.

Mine didn't look like that when I had fasics.

AL.

Patrick, you are standing, then you clench the muscle to make it fabsciculate , then they stop . They only seem to redraft after you clench thevmuscle again. A neurologist will only look for fasciculations in a relaxed meddle. You need to lie down and make the muscle completely relaxed, then take a look. That's what the neurologists do on exa mination.

I get them that bad in my lower legs if I do anything strenuous, otherwise they are softer.

Tell me, do they happen like that when you are completely relaxed, watching television, reading a book?

hi Allyop

when I am lying down or watching tv and the muscle is completely relaxed I get normal fasciculations. the muscle is completely relaxed and they flicker every 30 sec or so, if i run or workout they are like every 10 sec I get normal fasciculation (relaxed muscle all day every day) these contraction ripples are new with the last 6motnhs

Patrick--honestly it is possible you are just putting too much stress on your muscles. Let them test and, as hard as it is, wait for the results. The more you look for things, the more you'll find them.

Go out and have some fun! Life is too short to obsess--let 'em do their thing and figure you out, hon. In the long run, no matter the diagnosis--TODAY you're not diagnosed with ALS--enjoy today. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

LOTS of possibilities--keep that in your mind. Please don't fixate on ALS.

Thanks not me

you totally right

I tried to post a couple youtube links of ALS fasciculations but it went to moderation. Yours look more like charlie horses to me. Do they hurt? ALS fasciculations are a lot more subtle than yours appear.

Last edited:
LOL Marta! ASS fascic's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back