Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
ca
State
bc
City
vancouver
HI I am a 35 year old male, I have always had twicthces or fasticulations in off and on throughout my life but very briefly usally after a hard workout or a long run. however about a 1 year ago, I started to suffer from insomnia, and my calves started twitching non stop also my thighs and sometimes my forearms, I saw the doc he said it was probaly stress etc. about 6 months ago now I noticed where the twict
hing is there seems to be some indentation on the muscle, so I went ot my doc who inspected the muscle and says he thinks it okay. I have also noticed that my leags dont feel as strong as they were before. I dont know if its just because I am scared or not. I tried some strength test that I found on the net, hopping on one foot, heel and toe walking, walking backwards downstairs on tip toes, and standing on one foot on tip toes, I could do all but the standing on tip toes on one foot for 10secs was hard just barely would make it.

my doc is trying to get me a appointment with a neuro.
I am so scared I suffer from aniexty and this is driving me insane.

do you know of any other strength test I could try?

If you are able to do the tests you described, you do not have ALS and are definitely in the wrong place. You are worrying yourself sick, stop it. Go outside, smell the roses, look up at the mountains, hug your loved ones and live your life.

If you have had fasciculations for entire life, I would not be worried now. It can be completely unrelated - you should go for the EMG test to see if there is some nerve damage.

You don't have ALS, now go on and live your life.

Thank you for your replies,

I for got to mention something else wired that has been happening lately approx 6 months, when I flex my clave muscle the inside shakes like little tremors you can see them shaking if put my hand on it I can feel the vibrations, anybody know what this is? only whe I try to flex them

Patrick - It sounds like these symptoms have been around for awhile. It appears that you have followed up with your GP and he is in turn sending you to a neuro. Although I am not a doctor, what you have described does not sound like ALS.

Stress and anxiety will only amplify your physical symptoms and you will continue to make yourself sick. Perhaps you need to deal with the stress and anxiety first while waiting on a neuro appointment.

Go and live your life. Stay off Dr. Google and enjoy everyday.
Love and light
Meg

Patrick76,

Everybody's muscles quiver to some degree or another when you contract them, especially when you are working the muscle near its limits of either power, endurance, or range of motion.

As to your other symptoms, insomnia is not a symptom of ALS. If you've been twitching all your life and are still able to use all your limbs, much less do "hard workouts" or "long runs", then your twitching is certainly not caused by ALS. Finally, strenuous exercise is a well-known trigger of fasciculations in those people who are prone to have benign fasciculations.

A further piece of advice that I'm certain you'll ignore, but need to hear anyway: STOP doing those goofy strength tests before you injure yourself. Your chances of crippling yourself with one of those goofy tests is much higher than your being crippled by ALS.

Good luck to you.

Your story is not the story of someone with ALS . . . it's not even close. Relax.

Oh, and you wanted us to suggest some more strenght tests. Here's one:

Pick up your computer . . . hold it over your head . . . and throw it out a window of your choice.

Good luck to you.

OOOOOOH, Wright, UR baxck! Good 2 C U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back