Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Dunmow
City
Essex
Hello, i am a new member. Before i say anything i want to say how amazing everyone is on here. How nice people are even after being diagnoised it's so insperational.
I'm only 17 but i would love helping out and raising money for finding a cure.
How ever i have been having symptoms for 2 years now and it's very frustrating.

Reply on what? You have not described anything - which symptoms, how severe, doctor opinions if any, family history...

No family history.
I have very weak arms, very achey, i have twitching everywhere all the time. I'm very very hot. Burning.
MY breathing is difficult, like there is something stuck there. Yawning excessively.. I have been a&e for breathing about 1 month ago the did a quick test about 2 minutes long where i think he tested my strength and he said was fine but im getting worse

Regarding your age, I would not think about ALS much (though it is not impossible, unfortunately), there are auto-immune conditions like G-Barre syndrome or Isaacs syndrome..You need to undergo an EMG test.

i have a feeling the doctor wont give me one.. i suffer from anxiety and i know they will just say it's that. Iv'e had symptoms for 2 years would other things of got worse?

also i heard that emg's dont always show up for ages?

Dear Speccy, I'm afraid we can't help you out very much here. None of us are doctors. We only know about ourselves and what we're experiencing. Do not look up symptoms in the internet. You'll just freak yourself out and talk yourself in to thinking you have a disease when it might be nothing or something you can manage easily. Only a Dr. can help you. What do your parents say about all this?

With symptoms for two years, you'd have had marked weakness and likely some atrophy by now if it were ALS. For ALS at your age, you would almost certainly have had to have a family member with it (genetic ALS)

Sporadic ALS are generally in adults between the ages of 50-70.

There are other conditions that can cause your general feelings of weakness and such. I have no idea what the a&e you mention is....

And, no, the EMG doesn't take ages. It's more likely an EMG would show problems before you even noticed them.

Breathing difficulties at your age are more likely to be something like asthma.

ALS, especially at early stages, doesn't cause pain. It also doesn't cause any 'burning' feelings.

Please have your parents take you to the doctor for a check-up. Good luck

Looking into it i don't think i have weakness i can still pick very heavy things up just my arms feel very uncomfortable and achey, and it's not really burning sensation im just very hot everywhere. I don't have shortness of breath it's not like that, it felt like someone was covering my face and i wasn't getting enough air. Haha sorry, i'm from England, it's the hospital. i went there and they checked me out they checked my oxygen levels the amount of oxygen i can breath out. I have had a physical done at the doctors but this was really for my sinuses as they expected this was the cause of the breathing problems due to blocked nose. When i went to the hospital he made me walk on my heels and he made me pull him towards me and he pulled me away and i think he tested my strength because he said no neurological problems that i can see. I had twitching and have had twitching for 2 years, i've numbness on and off in my left arm for about 2 and a half years but it does get worse when i panic
I really don't want to moan and sound like a hypacondriact.. it's just hell i keep crying im scared to move. my whole body aches and very very shakey but i think thats because im so nervous. i've been to the doctors about 4 times and i know they will test my strength again and then say i won't need an emg, like the doctor said in the hospital.. i guess i'm just scared to find out. My parents know i worry and they think it's nothing.. my parents know me better than i no myself and they said they would have noticed me slurring my speach or me walking funny or me not holding things properly.. they always say ' if i thought something was ACTUALLY wrong with you, i would rush you straight to the doctors' my throat feels like its not working and i'm scared of just not breathing or just being paralysed just all this has made me so depressed, and it's made me want to help donate as well.
notme- do you have als? how are you coping with your symptoms?

Sounds like s full blown panic attack, they can come on in some individuals with no trauma. Just pow out of the blue. The hyperventilation causes sensory symptoms, such as burning and tingling. You are not always aware of hyperventilating either, which makes it difficult for the individual having a panic attack, being aware of over breathing. My mother had them a couple of time. Very scary. She was lucky as they were caused by a reaction to a drug. So stopping the drug helped. You could try slowly breathing bin and out of a paper bag.

yeah that's what i do suffer with but im wondering if it would cause my arms and legs to get tired very easily and ache so much. ALS can cause breathing problems of not getting enough air? This is what it feels like it feels like my throat and chest muscles arnt working and im just not getting in enough air

like i said in the above post.. they think it's stupid i think i have this disease they think im just being stupid and over reacting, they said they havnt noticed any difference in me and the man at the hospital has checked me out but i havnt had an emg and im petridfied

You don't have ALS. You're worrying yourself literally sick for nothing. It's possible that you have some sort of post-viral thing going on that has left you feeling weak.

if you weren't getting enough air--it would have shown up on the tests the hospital did. Seriously, hon--get away from here--you're going to read yourself into thinking you have ALS if you continue on like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back