Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CT
City
Southington
I am writing this to simply ask if anyone on here has ever heard of the flu shot causing ALS?

I am a 41 year old male special education teacher from Connecticut. In Oct. 2010 I got the flu shot and suffered from 4 days of muscle pains and then 5 days of horrible hives that covered my body. I was given Prednisone, Zantac, and Zyrtec. While on these meds, I developed a weak feeling in my left arm. I also had my BP go up into the high 150's/high 90's.

Through the months of Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March, and Feb the feeling in my arm continued as other things developed. I started to have overall twitching throughout my body that eventually settled into my right calf. This calf twitched 24/7 for about two months and has left this leg feeling weaker and the muscle looking smaller. I had an EMG on this leg in March and it came back with no denervation noted.

Recently, my left forearm has gotten really bad. I went to the neuro. yesterday and he noted clinical weakness and atrophy. (There is a diagonal divot across my forearm.) He is ordering an MRI to look at my neck for a possible trapped nerve.) He is also going to do an EMG of this arm next week.

So, I guess just back to my original question - anyone?

The first flu shot I ever had was after being diagnosed

Hi, I've heard of one swedish girl who got bulbar ALS after the flu shot.

No never, and as always Gusflower, please show the evidence that someone got bulbar ALS after a flu shot?

No! That's ridiculous...I've never heard of that ever happening!

People do develop Guillain-Barre Syndrome after flu shots. And a certain percentage of those who get GBS develop CIDP which can make doctors query ALS. Hubby has a motor form of CIDP and had a differential diagnosis of ALS. His CIDP probably was triggered by infection.
Laurel

My neurologist basically came out and said that the body's immune system can incorrectly attack the nerves following vaccines. He said that this is one reason why he would never get a flu shot. I asked him, "Isn't this what ALS does? It is the immune system attacking and killing the nerves." He said that in that respect it is the same, but ALS occurs in a specific location.

I am very freaked out that he basically said that I have clinical weakness and atrophy in my left arm and talked about my immune system potentially attacking and killing my nerves. I did research CIPD and it does fit pretty well with what is going on, but I am definitely scared for the coming day, weeks, and months as I get tested.

Two woman got it in Sweden.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do not know what causes ALS. You can go online and find people saying that the flu shot, tetanus shot and numerous other vaccines are what caused ALS. As well as mercury fillings being blamed and the latest one is being pre disposed to it because your middle finger is longer then your index finger. This is root cause as to why there is no cure, they do not know what causes it.

Go to your Dr's appt and let it play out. It is most likely a nerve issue.

That was an interesting comment from your neurologist. ALS is not proven to be autoimmune. In fact if it was then it would be easier to develope disease modifying agents, similar to this developed for Multiple Sclerosis.

Oh if it was only that easy:(

I know plenty of neurologists who have the flu vaccine yearly without a worry. There is no doubt that occasionally people have nasty reactions to flu vaccines like ADIP. It's a risk that people take when agreeing to the vaccine. It's very rare fortunately. It seems that you may have been very unlucky.

I hope things improve for you over time.

Aly

No;

But I heard that you can get it from a toilet seat.

The two girls I tried to link to got it after taking the Pandremix shot for the swineflu. The blog focuses on cases with neurological issues after taking the shot.

What is ADIP?

This year's flu shot was a combination flu/swine flu shot. My primary doctor is not seeing the correlation, but my rheumatologist and neurologist believe it is related to the shot.

I'm just trying to learn as I go with all this without insulting anyone on this site. Thanks for everyone's input.

As the flu vaccines are distributed world-wide, it's only logical to assume that some of those that received the vaccine either may develop or already have ALS.

There is no scientific proof I could find that suggested that the vaccine caused it...stating it as 'fact' is a dangerous thing to do. The Swedish women you mention can 'think' that the vaccine caused ALS in them--it doesn't make it FACT.

Those with ALS are at increased risk for respiratory issues due to the disease itself. The ALSA recommends the flu and pneumonia shots for just this reason.

Some people react badly to vaccines--always have. My daughter nearly died from her baby shots---but that was a reaction in HER--it doesn't mean that those vaccines don't save millions of lives each year.

I seriously doubt the vaccines would be allowed to continue marketing and deliverance if it was proven that they caused ALS. Just my opinion, of course. I'm certainly not a doctor.

I guess that some of you all need proof to connect stuff with eachother. But what if you actually feel in yourself a sudden change after a certain event. Sure you can¨t prove it scientificly but you can always tell your story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back