Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IN
City
Indianapolis
I am worried about ALS. I am a 26 year old male and I have a neuro checkup scheduled, but I wanted to hear other's opinions. My GP and family think it is stress or BFS or conversion disorder, but I can't get this out of my mind.

Four years ago my ex broke up with me. I started shaking uncontrollably that night. Then I was fine about that until a year ago when I was afraid I'd lose my job.

About three years ago I had less libido then when I was a teenager. It seemed I was fine with my girlfriend except when I was obsessing over it. I finally stopped obsessing and it has been better since. My therapist said I have OCD.

One year ago my left eye started twitching. It twitches daily, I'm not sure what percent of the time. I wear contacts and drink coffee but stopping coffee doesn't seem to help. It seems to have gotten better the last few days maybe.

About a month ago, our close friends had marriage trouble and got divorced. After that, I got a little depressed. One night I drank some beers while my fiancee was out, maybe four. I then woke up in the middle of the night around 4am. Then I kept waking up at 4 for about a week. It got better for another week or two.

Then I had a sharp pain in my thigh when driving one day. I walked it off. A week later, I had a pinched nerve feeling in my right knee. It lasted a week or so and then went away, but I have slight cold or burning sensations in my feet, and once or twice in my face.

The cold/burning really started one day when I looked up reasons for pinched nerve feelings and saw MS.

Ever since then, I've had bad insomnia. Ambien doesn't help much. I had random twitching in different areas, mostly legs, but that has went away the last few days it seems. I don't feel like sleeping when I lay down, and I wake up at 4am constantly. I had cold sweats a few nights.

I haven't felt hungry since I self-diagnosed myself. I haven't been eating much. I have lost maybe 5 lbs over the last few weeks since this started. I had gained 5 lbs before that over several weeks, so I'm back to my old weight.

My thinking has been cloudy, maybe because I only get 0-5 hours of sleep, usually around 2 hours. I can't recall names well sometimes. I'm constipated, but that seemed to start after starting Lexapro.

My breathing is heavier. It may be stress. I was stressed last night and my heart beat was 94 bpm. Now my breathing is better, about 84 bpm. 75-85 is probably normal for me in the past. I can breathe in for about 10 seconds. I can't hold my breath too long.

I have a nervous laugh. I laugh sometimes when my fiancee cries. If she cries it is fine, but if she looks at me I get a nervous feeling. I thought maybe I had Aspergers which can cause that (I am also very introverted and talk in a monotone voice etc).

I feel clumsy and my muscles feel weak. My legs feel weaker. My arms get tired when holding my cell phone up, although I've had that as long as I can remember.

My symptoms feel better the last few days except insomnia and fatigue. I am self testing. I did a wall squat test and did it once for 40 seconds and then this morning for 53 seconds. I haven't been to the gym hardly this year and I have a desk job, IDK if that level is normal for me.

I am not a doctor; however, none of these symptoms sound like ALS to me. It sounds like you have dealt with some emotional trauma over the years. It is very common for those things to create physical symptoms. Stay off the Internet and no more googling your symptoms - that is an order. :D

Continue to follow up with your doctor. Get some rest, get some exercise, and fuel your body with good food. Those are all positive steps that no matter the diagnosis, will benefit your outlook.

I wish you all the best.
Love and light
Meg

You may or may not have problems but ALS isn't one of them.

The majority of your symptoms are not ALS symptoms. Sounds more like anxiety.

Please read the information contained in the 2 Stickys at the beginning of this section.

Good luck.

Thank you for everyone's reassurance so far. I will keep reading this thread to calm my worries, instead of resorting to Google.

Like I said, a lot of symptoms seem better, except for mentally and lack of sleep; I keep telling myself that I'll finally get an 8 hours of sleep night and that would help plenty.

Let me know if anyone else has encouraging feedback. I pray for all.

Dude you need to chill out big time, I don't know what's wrong with you but try dealing with your anxiety and then go from there. Also not one thing you described points to Als..
Be well

When are you going to tell us about the symptoms that make you think you have ALS? You've obviously got something wrong with you, but nothing in that list you gave sounds at all like ALS.

Well none of you are concerned of it being ALS so far so that relieves some worries. I have felt like my symptoms have fit ALS to a tee, but when you get hypochrondria I know that is easy to do. I would see things like uncontrollable laughter as a symptom, and I'd think of when I nervously laugh at my fiancee. I have random hiccups, and I saw where that can be a neurological symptom.

I'm going to go ahead and call some psychiatrists that my doctor recommended me today.

I don't know if I should keep my neurologist appointment or not? My fiancee is going to get me on her insurance, mine probably wouldn't cover an MRI or anything, so maybe I'll start with a psychiatrist first.

God bless

HI

Definitely get the psychological help you need. Depression and anxiety are treatable. Be careful not to abruptly stop any depression meds as that can cause a lot of issues with you.

Weakness, in ALS is more of an inability to do something--generally in one limb--it's not a 'feeling' of being weak--you simply can NOT do something.

There are disorders that come and go--and are very treatable. Good nutrition is very important. Eat healthy--take a good multi vitamin.

The mind can cause havoc with your body. Ignore the twitches--we all have them. Caffeine can make them a lot worse, by the way.

Your heart rate--even the 94--is within normal limits. Don't worry about that at all.

As I'm sure you know, your age is also in your favor. ALS would be extremely rare in someone your age. But, honestly-your symptoms don't sound like ALS at ALL. It doesn't cause PAIN. And, with symptoms as long as you've been having them, IF you had ALS--you'd certainly be unable to do things at this point in one of the areas.

It's hard to let obsessions go--especially with OCD--but this is one disease that's not even in the ball park. Keep your neurology appt--if for no other reason than your own peace of mind.

Symptoms coming and going is a VERY GOOD SIGN that you don't have ALS or any other MND variant.

Be well. Join an anxiety support forum if you need to be able to talk about how you're feeling. It can also help.

Thank you all SO much for your feedback.

I do feel like I am getting better. I upped my dosage of Ambien last night and was able to get maybe 7 hours of sleep--interrupted sleep but it was the most sleep I've gotten in a long time none the less.

It possibly is just all stress, who knows? I only had a few minor symptoms until I stressed myself out, and now that I've started getting a little sleep and reassurance, symptoms are going away. I will definitely get checked up at the neuro soon, but my mental health has been the main issue I know.

I am very thankful for everyone's support. For the first time since all of my symptoms started, I feel optimistic. I'm going to concentrate on eating right and maintaining my weight and getting some rest.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth of opinion, in that yes, keep seeing your therapist, and don't abruptly change your meds... however, in your last line you indicated you had a desk job. I would also recommend getting outside and going for a brisk walk, bike, walk a dog, anything to get some exercise. You'll feel so much better mentally, and sleep better if you get your body tired, and get some fresh air. Someone told me once that I think too much... perhaps you share the same affliction? Good luck.

health anxiety. mention this to your psych doc. goes along with OCD sometimes.
not ALS.
symptoms do not come and go.
you may "feel" weak when you lift your cell phone, but that isnt weakness. weakness would be you cannot lift your phone.
Not ALS.
good luck

Sounds like you do not handle stress well. Has your Dr reccommended zoloft or anything like that, it can help with anxiety and depression. No need to concern yourself with ALS, you do not have it.

Hello
You clearly don't have ALS or any variant of that, but you clearly do need to talk to someone - preferably a professional. Get your yourself an appointment and all blessings for your new life.Regards - Kitchener

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back