Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
oh
City
columbus
Hi everyone! First I want to thank you inadvance for taking the time to read this and for any responses.
This is what I've been experiencing for the past 2 months. I developed a sinus infection about 2 months ago. About a week before it started I noticed that my arms became fatigued very quickly while shopping and browsing through an upper rack of clothes. I was feeling a bit under the weather and assumed it was because I was coming down with something. Both arms started to bother me while washing my hair and brushing my teeth. My arms and shoulder muscles would get tired quickly and would burn, like when you overwork your muscles they start to get that burning feeling. This went on for a few more weeks, even after my sinus infection went away. The rapid fatigue then moved into both hands and sometimes my jaw and tongue would get tired while chewing. Now, when driving, my thumb muscles start to ache and get tired from holding on to the steering wheel. Stirring a pot of food on the stove makes my hand and arm get tired very quickly. I have to put my arm down to rest it before starting the activity again. So basically, very simple activities make my arm, shoulder and hand muscles feel fatigued and weak.

I have dexterity in my hands unless I do a repeated activity that makes them tired, like typing, or opening and closing my fingers many times. Then the fatigue sets in and I can no longer do the acitivity very well. I will have to rest them and then restart again with a little deficit in movement until they can be rested for quite some time. I can lift the children that I babysit for, but they feel heavier than before. I can bench press 40lbs for 3 reps of 20 before my arms and shoulders are completely exhausted.

During all of this I started getting muscle twitching in all of my limbs and some on my torso. I did start taking a multi and magnesium and the twtiching has decreased by about 50%.

I was able to get into a neurologist a couple of weeks ago and he did a very basic neuro exam. My reflexes were all normal and the basic strength tests were normal. He did some blood work which I dont have the results for yet and said that he would do an EMG in 6 weeks if my symptoms didnt improve.

These symptoms have been present since the beginning of March. But moved from my shoulders/ arms to my jaw and tongue and then into my hands. Do my symptoms sound like the onset of ALS?

You have seen a neurologist, he is going to review your symptoms in 6 weeks, you have no "signs" of anything sinister going on..............not sure what advice you want. It sounds to me that you have the situation under control. Now you just have to get your anxiety under control as well. Be patient, and meanwhile, just get on with things and stop focusing so much on your body.

As trfogey said. Sounds nothing at all like the start of ALS.

Thank you both for replying. From reading Dr. Google, an early symptom of ALS is rapid muscle fatigue. The fact that I have to rest my arm while brushing my teeth or hair, and tonight while cooking, my arm and hand almost stopped working from the fatigue of stirring. These symptoms, as I mentioned are in both arms and hands and shoulder muscles now. Things just feel heavier, and my muscles tire when normally they wouldnt. I have to exert more strength than normal. Is that considered weakness?

I asked the neuro about ALS and he only sees about 1 patient per year with it, so I'm not too comforable with his qualifications. I'm waiting to get into a neuromuscular specialst at the University Hospital.

So based on your experiences, this is not how ALS presents?

Thank you both for your replies. The reason I'm concerened about ALS is based on information I've read from medical sites. According to what I've read, rapid muscle fatigue can be an early symptom of ALS. I know that weakness is the hallmark symptom, but I am having difficutly understanding the difference. Basically I have rapid extreme muscle fatigue while doing everyday activities like brushing hair, cooking, folding clothes, etc. Pretty much any activity that requires keeping my arms lifted. The muscle starts to get tired and the longer I contiue the acitivity, the more fatigued it gets until the muscle just quits working and I have to rest it. And the newest symptom like I mentioned before is now the thumb muscles getting fatigued and aching and feeling like my grip is weak just from holding on to the steering wheel. I often have to change which muscle group I'm using in order to prolong an activity. Once I rest my arms or hand for a short while, I can start again, but the muscle gives out a bit quicker than the first time and then feels a little weaker.

So this is not typical of early symptoms of ALS?

According to what I've read, rapid muscle fatigue can be an early symptom of ALS.

Where did you read this? What other "symptoms" of ALS do they list?

I know that weakness is the hallmark symptom, but I am having difficutly understanding the difference.

The weakness in ALS is caused by the progressive paralysis of groups of muscle fibers as the motor neurons that control them are attacked and killed by the disease. That means two things. First, the weakness starts small and gets progressively worse. Second, once the weakness is present, it never goes away. No amount of rest will bring the strength back because the muscle fibers are paralyzed -- permanently.

The "weakness" you describe is more correctly described as reduced stamina or exercise intolerance. Your muscle has its normal strength at the beginning of activity, but it tires easily, or at least more quickly than the past. Given sufficient rest, the muscle can regain its full strength and resume normal activity.

So this is not typical of early symptoms of ALS?

Correct, it is not typical of ALS at any stage, early or late.

Everybody is a little diffrent but trfogey as usual is exactly right. The weakness you are describing doesnt sound consistant with ALS. I didn't even know I had weakness till my nuerology exam and I had already had voice problems and footslap and a weakened grip in my thumb. Reflexes were spastic and the EMG was ordered immediately because of the physical exam. I would advice you to quit worring about what might be and take your scare to realize how short our time on earth is and take advantage of everyday. It seems only people with finit time grasp that concept.

I completely agree with the previous members, muscle fatigue due to tiredness is very different from your limbs not having the strength to make the movement at all; you sound as though you could have anyone of a million different MINOR ailments. By the sounds of it you need to look into getting off the net, follow your doctors advice (they're usually 99.99% spot on), go out and find a nice bloke or woman or both! and live a little!
D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back