Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NC
City
Asheville
My father in law passed away a few years ago with ALS. Now, I can't help but be concerned as my husband is starting to show some symptoms that his Dad presented with during his diagnosis. He has had arm weakness and numbness for a few weeks and has just started having leg weakness. He is stumbling often and has even fallen a few times. I am also worried that he has had a couple of minor accidents with the car over the past couple of weeks and seems to have trouble concentrating.
I know that he should see a neurologist, but after seeing his father suffer from ALS, he is understandably not in a hurry to possibly be diagnosed with the same disease. I am trying to convince him that there are many things that could account for his symptoms other than ALS. Should we start with the PCP and move on to the neurologist?

It all seems too fast for ALS and the sensory symptoms do not fit. It would be a good idea to see your pcp to get checked for clinical weakness etc.
He needs to have MS ruled out. MS now has some very effective treatments, so he neednt put off seeing a Doctor, because of fear.

Few months after my wife diagnosis, I got fasciculation all other my legs. I know I can get weird symptoms due to nervousness from time to time so it didn’t worry me. Just took magnesium for a few weeks and it got away.
If your husband is worried he should go to the GP but it is probably a “nervous” reaction…

HI

I'm not inclined to agree with the above poster that it's "nerves"-- if he's having falls and car accidents--SOMETHING is going on, I'd think. But just because his dad had ALS does not mean that he does.

yes--he needs to see someone--sooner rather than later. He's a risk to everyone on the road if something is causing him to wreck. Is he passing out or something?

There are just so many things that can cause leg weakness--most usual is spinal issues. Remind him that ALS shouldn't cause numbness--and that it points away from ALS not toward it--but still, if only for peace of mind for you both, should be seen.

If he has a good relationship--start with the GP and see what he says.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back