01/2011
Country
IN
State
Uttar Pradesh
City
Meerut
Hi All

I was diagnosed with MND/ALS in January by a 'local' neuro. By that I mean a private doctor, most of whom are on the make. I live in Meerut, near Delhi, India and medical resources are not good here to say the least. He took just 15 minutes to diagnose me, asked for no tests or reports except an EMG by his assistant (without needle electrodes) and done in a very shoddy manner. At that time I had had hoarseness for 18 months, progressing to difficulty in swallowing and right thumb weakness (a year), and slurred speech (3-4 months).

After the diagnosis I suddenly began having difficulty in walking (long distances) and could not ride my bike. This could have been partly psychological because of of the shock of the diagnosis. I have a history of depression going back 15-20 years.

I then went to one of the best state funded institutes in the country, in Delhi for a second opinion. It is very overcrowded and you get very little time. One of my vocal chords was found to be paralyzed, MRI and other scans were clear. They made no definitive diagnosis but put me on Riluzole as a preventive measure, which I didn't take, and asked me to come back in three months (due May 11).

Since then I have got a lot weaker, my speech more slurred, swallowing has become more difficult, and I have cramps from time to time.

Could depression cause any of my symptoms or aggravate them? I know it is unlikely but would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Thanks

My symptoms are very similar to yours. Stress definiately makes symptoms worse.
Sending you big hugs...

Depression can absolutely both cause and aggravate symptoms.

I have been gifted with a great many friends diagnosed with clinical depression, ranging from mild to major depression. Some are on medications, some not. About half of them have been committed at least once. For a layperson, I have gotten to see quite the spectrum!

Depression can cause the commonly known symptoms: headaches, fatigue, excess sleep, general feelings of malaise. I have also personally seen it cause shaking hands, bouts of weakness, narcoleptic-like attacks, lack of coordination, physical numbness etc.

My husband has major depression, and when the physical symptoms of it hit, they are as disabling to him as PLS is to me. He can really try to cut pills in half, lift boxes, or clean the dishes, but when he is past his point of ability he will be unable to pick up small objects, drop things he could normally carry, trip, and cut himself on cutlery. He can try to stay awake when the narcoleptic phase hits, but it's not possible - he's out for at least three hours.

Thanks, twinmommie72. Sending big hugs back to you. I guess you have to minimize all external stress in your life. As for the illness itself, I find meditation or relaxation exercises help. Stay stress free and well.

Beky, you have a big heart. I found pills don't really help in depression in the long run, and side effects only make things worse. Has your husband tried counseling? That might be better.

I had most of the symptoms you mention (except narcolepsy) before my ALS diagnosis. But they would go away in a week or two. Now, the weakness isn't going away.

My husband has had a chemical imbalance caused depression since he was 8 years old. I assure you, counseling hasn't helped, and his meds make him able to keep a job and not get arrested for going into violent fits. Two days off of his medications causes his to walk differently, made negative expressions he's not aware of, etc. (He doesn't remember that he didn't take his meds, because of the brain fog, but I can tell and counting pills confirms I'm right every time.) After several weeks off of them, he descends into an uncontrollable anger and hopelessness that lead to him getting into fights, verbal and physical. He is on the far end of major depression.

Like I said, I have many friends with depression. Some people do better with counseling, and some can muddle through without medicinal help. Some can't have a life at all with the meds. At least for the guys with moderate depression, when they choose to go med free and it doesn't work, they only end up homeless and unemployed. I know two who manage that way. One has managed to keep a home and a job through the timely help of friends when he is on the brink of losing it all. The other hasn't suceeded even with help from friends and a great counselor, and is now bopping in and out of jail because of missing deadlines and appointments related to traffic tickets. He hates meds but acknowledges that if his inheritance ever runs out, he will need them. Those diagnosed with mild depression either take nothing or very low doses of antidepressants, depending on whether the side effects and help balance well or not.

Major depression, at least the angry strain of it, isn't that way. His meds aren't optional, they are his "wheelchair" that lets him try to be the loving husband and hardworking breadwinner that he dreams of being. They give him about 60 functional hours a week. Counseling has been completely ineffective, but our marriage has helped significantly. I'm the best med manager he's ever had, I can tell the fastest when he's off them, and I'm available 24/7 if he needs a pep talk to keep depression something that causes him to weep for hours instead of raging. When staying at work any longer will be deleterious for him and his coworkers both, I make him take sick leave and come home. We live with my sister and bro-in-law, and they bear up all the non-work needs he can't manage. He's made amazing strides, keeping a job since 2008, being a faithful husband despite temptation and my disability, and though he wakes up every morning with those dark thoughts and the pull of giving up on his life, he soldiers on. I respect him utterly, and love him deeply. We both wish he didn't need meds, when he's off them the good moments are glorious... but vanishingly rare. He doesn't want to be an abusive man, and the medicine is the tool that keeps him from being one. Meds give him a chance at something approaching a normal life.

Depression is complicated. :(

Beky, you are an angel. Your posts are both informative and sensitive. I loved it when you said you've been "gifted with a great many friends" that suffer with depression. That shows what a good person you are. I admire you for that! Don't worry, I'm not going to stalk you. ;)

Beky, thanks for sharing all that information with us. It gives an insight into one's own life. Allow me to say you are doing a remarkable job of helping your husband and he too of fighting it out.

I too have had serious bouts of depression, though nothing like your husband's. I can identify with a lot of your husband's behavior and problems. I think my depression was mostly self-induced (because of my abusive behavior with my wife - she is fine though, thank god, it just boomeranged :) ).

My experience with psychiatrists has mostly been like this:

doc: I'm changing your med. (writes) 'venta..'
me: I've tried that. It doesn't work for me.
doc: OK, then, try (writes) 'fluox..'
me: No, no! That doesn't work either. It causes severe constipation.
doc: OK, then..
..and so on ;-)

Psychiatrists are mostly pill dispensers here. Big pharma sets 'sales' targets for them with big bonuses. That's why I've lost confidence in them.

But I understand meds are essential in severe cases. My sister was diagnosed with schizophrenia at a young age and now takes just one pill a day, which has helped her stay stable for many years.

I can well understand the problem you face - specially because of a disability on both sides.

I have lived most of my life dealing with depression. I understand it very well. There are a couple of things to consider, though. Meds to treat it can and very often do help a LOT.

Depression can manifest itself in various different ways as well--but--I've never heard of it paralyzing someone's vocal cords. Depression can certainly cause the feeling like 'death warmed over twice' feeling!

Even a paralyzed vocal cord doesn't necessarily mean ALS--make them confirm it by ruling out everything else! Hugs hon--I hope you feel better. Treat the depression and see if some of the symptoms get better in the meantime while you await confirmation.

Thanks very much for the advice, Patty. It's just that treatment for depression didn't work work for me even before the diagnosis. Still, maybe I will try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back