Old 04-26-2011, 04:41 PM #1 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Orlando
State: Fl
Diagnosed: 08/2011
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
notme is on a distinguished road
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Orlando
State: Fl
Diagnosed: 08/2011
notme is on a distinguished road
Default 3 hour neuro appt

Spent 3 hours with the neuro the crap insurance sent me to. They had told me the Emg/ncv was approved....it wasn't.

I sat for an hour and a half after his exam--because he said it's imperative that an EMG/NCV be done this week--and he also says I need biopsies.

He wanted EMG/NCVs approved for all limbs and my back. They would only approve the EMG/NCV on 3 limbs after an hour of back and forth.

I go back Friday for the EMG/NCV--no date yet for the muscle/nerve biopsy.

He checked everything. His concern areas are my legs, and obviously my arms. My legs were in such severe spasm, he had trouble testing at all. Like the neurosurgeon, he's leaning toward ALS--as my bloodwork and MRis have ruled out several other possibilities.

I mentioned the headaches in the mornings--he thinks they are related to my O2 sats when I'm sleeping. But, I take narcotic pain meds--so I don't know if that's the cause. Guess we'll see.

He gave me zanaflex for the spasms and said to call if it didn't work for baclofen--as the Valium isn't doing such a great job of stopping them. (An hour in a car always makes the spasms worse)

I'm still planning on going to the clinic in Tampa if the EMG shows anything.

His information states he's an expert on EMG -- he said it would take about an hour and a half.

So--no answers--but maybe I'll learn something on Friday. He also takes the new insurance--so perhaps further testing will be more conclusive and give me answers.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 PM #2 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: NZ
State: NZ
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
Alyoop is on a distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
City: NZ
State: NZ
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
Alyoop is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 hour neuro appt

Great to know you have an obviously competent neurologist.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:28 AM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: uk
State: uk
Diagnosed: 11/2007
olly is on a distinguished road
Extremely Helpful Member
City: uk
State: uk
Diagnosed: 11/2007
olly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 hour neuro appt

hi patty.
sorry you had such a day being messed about,hopefully friday you will be closer to some answers.
i dont know why there not giving you baclofen and all the other drugs instead,you should really ask for it on friday as its the best med to soley treat spasms.
Closed Thread

Tags
back, baclofen, biopsy, clinic, emg, headaches, hours, information, insurance, meds, muscle, pain, planning, spasms, testing, wanted