Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
ua
State
ca
City
venice
hi, let me start off with thanking you for reading this.

Just a couple of questions. Now I'm a bit of an anxious guy, but I by no means am an anxiety freak about my health and well being. I just started getting strange symptoms, and googled, which looks like a pretty big problem here on the forum.

I'm not really an avid athlete, but not too out of shape either, I take a walk a couple of times a day, i eat ok and have been under a bit of stress the last couple of months for various reasons.

ive been having strange issues/symptoms. It started with twitching all over my body. Then 90% of the twitching has settled into my left leg. Also the back of that leg (behind the knee) is very sore and feels weak/stretched and a couple of numb spots here and there on that leg. now, both legs ache at times, but the back of my knee on the left is really bothering me. could be a tendon or nerve? i hope so. I hope its not an atypical onset of ALS/MND. Should I be running to a neurologist or an ortho. ?

any advice from anyone is greatly appreciated ahead of time. :)

I'd see the Ortho first. Twwitches don't point to ALS contrary to google. Doesn't sound Neurological to me.

AL.

Well thank you, you answered one of my q's which was does als start with twitching. My other q is does it start with tendon pain or any type of pain for that matter? I've read horror stories about this disease. A woman went thru surgeries for carpal tunnell... Guess what? It wasn't carpal it was als, she was misdiagnosed for 8 months then died 4 months after the correct als diagnoses. I refuse to read anymore on the internet so that's why I'm asking here.

Excuse me, but this is the internet. If you refuse to use it, please don't read stuff on this forum. Well, I have ALS and I'll just tell you that twitches do not mean you have ALS. I didn't twitch at all until years into the disease. Mine started with cramps and weakness. ALS starts in one place, not 99% of your body all at once.You're just scaring yourself for no reason.

Thank u for responding and when I said the internet I meant google not informative sites like this but that other sites had those horrble stories

Jeff there is no reason for you to be here. As Al advised you go see an Ortho. They should be able to ht.elp you out. Good luck!

Pain and/or numbness almost ALWAYS points away from ALS, except in the case of co-infections, or final stage ALS. Also, if your twitching is not consistent or confined to certain limbs, as is the case with "malignant" fasciculations, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about for the time being.
Perhaps you should see a Chiropractor. Nerve subluxations can aggravate joints a great deal, causing pain, twitches,etc...I had several in my neck and back, but mine were due to muscle weakness, and unfortunately not the overall cause of my symptoms. Seeing a chiropractor did help with the numbness, however.

Thanks alastor. what happens when als is misdiagnosed? what a tragedy. anyways, thank you for you information. I really hope I'm not back here with a real diagnoses. my tendon is very sore and there is a patch on my leg that is tingling. im twithcing everywehre. But I will take the advice and see an ortho first.

Believe us--twitching everywhere is a good sign that it is NOT ALS. There are things as simple as too much soda that can cause twitches. My 'twitches' are only in my hand--but that hand also has atrophy and is weak to the point that I can not hold a fork or spoon in it.

Weakness is what they look for in ALS--not pain, not twitches, not tendon/joint pain.

Hope you feel better.

you are ok! you don't have als. i have a torn tendon in my shoulder...and boy-- does it hurt! but its not als.....i don't go to an ortho. dr. i just go to p.t

Last edited:
I am blown away that you could even consider ALS at all. Makes no sense. You have a pain and a few twitches, like a huge % of the population have had at one time or another.
Please lay it aside and take a pill. This website is not where you should be. If you are worried see your Doctor.

I'm sorry I wasn't looking for rude people I was looking foe information. Yes I found you thru the internet and yes now I'm a bit scared.

hi jeffcarr52.
honestly instead of looking up your symptoms and getting scared from what you read you should see your gp.
hey,we have all had our brains running away with us and thinking the worse case scenario.
it really does not sound like als at all so you can relax.
take care.

I'm sorry I wasn't looking for rude people I was looking foe information. Yes I found you thru the internet and yes now I'm a bit scared.

We are only rude because people like you refuse to listen to reason, you don't have any symptoms of ALS be glad and get away from this. Happy Easter.

What kind of information were you looking for? None of us have ever heard of you before you posted here, much less examined you to determine whether your twitching is malignant or benign. Only a real live doctor can tell you that.

As to what kind of doctor to see first, start with your primary care physician. If you need any specialized care, your PCP will know where to refer you.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back