Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
pa
City
hazleton
I have had right leg atrophy for almost 2 years primarly in my calf, almost 3/4 to1 inch difference. I had a mri to see if I had a possible disc hernation, this came back negative for any nerve impingement (L5/S1) suspected radiculopathy. My emg came back abnormal. I have increased insertional activity, +2 fibs, +2 positive waves in my right lumbar paraspinals. This was consistent with active denervation. Tibial motor and sural studies were normal. I went to a neurologist and he stated he thinks my one leg is just meater than the other (a real Einstein, I think he should get his money back from that med school sinice this was my primary complaint for seeing him). Does anyone have any suggestions for me. I want to know if I should see someone else or just forget about it.

hey, dukiedo im new here and im going in for an emg tomorrow..........at first i thought i had ms........but my brain mri was clean..i went back to dr because my symptoms have not changed.......i would get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion...........

What did Dr Einstein say he thought was the reason for the abnormalities on the EMG? There lies the answer! And he could be correct about the leg sizes. We are far from symmetrical. Could be atrophy, could be just you.

Yes, in my opinion you should get a 2nd opinion. Good luck Dear!

If you are not satisfied with your doctor definitely get a second opinion. You at least want to know what is causing the abnormal EMG. Did your neurologist provide you with any thoughts?

I really do appreciate everyones advice with this. My neuro said i dont need to see him anymore and my emg was not that abnormal, whatever that means, I live in a less populated area so I am considering going to a city hosp. I have not always been asymetricial. I always had meaty calves. now I only have one meaty calf. No sensory deficits, does anyone know of any conditions that causes one calf to shrink?

I would love if it was just me. I always had meaty, beefy calves. Now I have only one. I am afraid to measure the difference again, I know it is about an inch by now. I am 50 years old and have always been in good shape. I am a health care professional so I know enouph to scare myself. I guess if it gets worse I will follw up with another neuro.

With a tiny amount of atrophy for 2 years and no weakness, EMG or physical findings, then you don't have MND If you had weakness on examination, or an obvious disability caused by the atrophy, then a second opinion is probably a good idea. If it was something like MND then you would have many many symptoms by now, wheelchair, etc. No one here is a doctor so we can't diagnose you.

good luck with your emg, they are a little uncomfortable but not as uncomfortable as not knowing whats wrong.

I am a health care professional so I know enouph to scare myself.

What kind of a health care professional are you? And what do you mean by saying that one calf is an inch smaller than the other. Diameter? Circumference? How and when have you measured it?

If you've had atrophy in your calf for two years, it's almost certainly not a MND, simply due to the lack of progression.

Nothing you've written sounds like ALS at all. Not atypical or otherwise. It doesn't cause pain--at least not in the beginning. And never tendon pain. See your GP. They can check to see if you need further testing on your legs or spine.

Everyone twitches--and when we become hyper aware of it--we twitch even more. caffeine is the biggest culprit for twitching. Feel better, and stay away from Dr. G00gle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back