Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
tx
City
houston
hey, guys i was looking through the past questions forum........and i couldnt get a definite answer as to how long after the presentation of symptoms should one have an emg test performed.....my symptoms started the weekend of the superbowl..muscle twitches,cramps in hamstrings and quads........numbness in left toes and fingers..stiff calf muscles....my family has a history of ms.my gp did some blood work all came back normal......sent me to a nuero.......and he did some physical tests on me and then had me do an mri...it was clean.....may 6 will be 3 months would something be picked if im still having these symptoms after 3 months.........of do i need to wait and see ....the anxiety is killing me.....

Did the neuro find anything on physical exam? MS and ALS from my reading can seem similar in early stages with cramps and weakness--but in ALS they don't get better--often, especially with certain types of MS, they can and do.

Without weakness--I'm not sure what you'll find. Did the neuro want to do an EMG/NCV? It seems like they would have ordered one if they thought it was necessary.

But, to answer your question--yes, the EMG may well pick up things that haven't shown as physical weakness or disability yet.

If you're having pain and numbness--those are good indicators that it may well NOT be a MND. Good luck

Daddypix, if you will go to the section this thread is in--"Do I Have", look in the second thread from the top (author is Joel C), open it, and go down to #10, "Ever heard of going to the Doc too soon?". Then look carefully at the 10th post by Wright, who is the expert on EMGs. He answers your question.

thankyou guys for the advice and ill be sure and look into that thread............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back