Learn about ALS
Country
PT
State
Porto
City
Porto
Hello everyone,

First of all, let me just thank everyone in advance for taking the time to read or even reply to this. I am aware you probably get hundreds if not thousands of these threads every year from hypochondriacs (which is probably the same in this case) but if you could be so kind to answer to this thread I'd really appreciate it.

Some background on me: I am 22 years old, male, caucasian and from Portugal. No history of neurodegenerative illnesses in my immediate family. I exercise probably once a month. I drink approximately 3 liters of water per day so dehydration isn't a problem, ever.

Ok so, onto the symptoms:

For the past couple of months I have been having some trouble swallowing my saliva, probably a couple of times per day. I try to swallow but it just doesn't go down (goes down on the 2nd try with ease) I also noticed I have been tripping on my carpets/rugs often (not everyday but definitely more often than before). Earlier this week I started twitching often and everywhere in my body, these twitches are usually in my arms, calves and thighs but I have them all over the place as well. I also have a feeling of weakness in my body (arms and right leg especially). Also last weekend I was holding a bottle (with my right hand) and I felt my hand go very weak, it quivered for like 10 seconds as if I was going to drop it but nothing really happened after it.

Also I have noticed "anxiety" a lot in these threads. For the past 3 months I have had probably 4-5 episodes very hard to describe in words, I start panicking for no reason and just have thoughts like "I have to get out of here" or "I feel like I'm going to lose my mind". These are anxiety attacks according to wikipedia.

I have scheduled an appointment with my GP for the day after tomorrow and I'll discuss everything I have said here with her.

I know odds are stacked in my favor (especially considering my age) that this isn't ALS but it never hurts to ask. Greatly appreciate your opinions.

Also on a sidenote, I would like to know how/where I can donate for research on this soul crushing disease.

Thanks again, all the best.

You're having panic attacks it sounds like. See your doctor and see if they can help you with them.

check ou anxietyzone . com.... check, out the hypochondriac section... its' great ... and people have a ton of als/mnd fears there.

if you want to donate for research, ALS TDI is an option.
If you want to donate to help PALS ( people with ALS) directly, you can contact Stu at ALS guardian angels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back