Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
VA
City
Forest
I have this very fine constant muscle twitch that I can't feel..You have to look very closely to notice it..It is the same muscle in both arms..I showed it to my neurologist but he didn't seemed concerned..I'm reading online that twitches that you can see but don't feel are indicative of ALS..Is this true?

I have a very fine twitch in the same area of both arms (near my elbow) that I can't feel...You have took look extremely close to notice it....I showed it to my neurologist but he didn't seem to be concern...I'm concerned because I've read that twitches that you can't feel but see could be ALS is this true?

You saw a neurologist and after an examination he gave you his diagnosis. He did not seem concerned with the twitch and neither should you. Take his advice and deal with the anxiety and stress. It is amazing what those things can do to our bodies and our minds. Do not go looking for any more trouble. Go out and live your life and enjoy!

Yes, that's true.

But it could be just a twitch you can't feel.

I've had BF(C)S for 22 years last month. Little ones, big ones, ones I feel can't see, ones I can see can't feel, ones I can feel and see, ones in places I couldn't even see with a mirror, and in every muscle in my body. Need I continue?

And I'm serious - I know the exact moment in time they started and have never quit. One day they will either go away or they won't. Please don't push this too much - you will drive yourself nuts.

And all the warriors with ALS are taking their precious time to repeat over and over that twitches are not diagnostic of anything - ANYTHING.

Went back and read your first post.

BTW, my floaters showed up about the same time as my twitches.

It was a very stressful time in my life - four straight quarters of above-average course load trying to graduate, get married, and start a career. Sound famliar?

Now get off here and go chase some wild women. Call me if you catch them.:wink:

Hi,Twith,

Please try to get some emotional support. If you are scanning your body so intensely that you are finding twitches under your elbows that can't be felt - something other than a physical problem is going on. I understand the emotional impact of a close friend's death. You are feeling very vulnerable and alone. Spend the money you are investing in seeing neurologists and talk to a counselor. You deserve a better life than this.

Lorna

Not wanting to be rude but if a Neurologist isn't concerned why would you be? What would possess you to seek validation from here? I know we have some informed people but we're not doctors.

AL.

I'm reading online that twitches that you can see but don't feel are indicative of ALS..Is this true?

Your biggest problem.

I showed it to my neurologist but he didn't seemed concerned..

The result from continuing to indulge yourself in your primary problem.

Twitches, in the absence of any other symptoms of ALS, are not indicative of ALS. They are simply twitches. That is why your neuro is not concerned about them.

And there is a chance that the more you obsess about them, the worse they will get, if they are related in any way to your anxiety.

HI

As others have said--your neuro isn't concerned. For now, just ignore them. Believe it or not--we all twitch. IF--something progresses or you notice things that indicate some medical condition, go back. But honestly, for now...you're fine. Don't worry. Remember, hon---ALS is a non-treatable condition. It's rare.

Even something as simple as vitamin deficiencies and potassium levels can affect muscles. Exercise can cause twitches.

For now--with just twitching--go enjoy your life :)

I just can't get my mind off of ALS... Initially I thought I might of had MS because of the sensory issues.....I was reading and a MS forum and someone mentioned ALS and I googled it...I should have never of did that. That is when everything went downhill.. The twitching, cramping, constant fatigue (I just don't feel like doing anything)..etc.. I've been to two neurologist in the past 3 weeks..One who even specializes in neuromuscular disorders and both have said they don't think I have ALS..

I just can't get my mind off of ALS... Initially I thought I might of had MS because of the sensory issues.....I was reading and a MS forum and someone mentioned ALS and I googled it...I should have never of did that. That is when everything went downhill.. The twitching, cramping, constant fatigue (I just don't feel like doing anything)..etc.. I've been to two neurologist in the past 3 weeks..One who even specializes in neuromuscular disorders and both have said they don't think I have ALS..

Hon, all I can say at this point is: with two neuros saying it's not ALS--it's not ALS. Look elsewhere for your answers.

MS is difficult to diagnose--but it begins with MRI's of the spine and brain, a spinal tap and evoked potential testing.

Sounds like you can definitely let ALS go at this point

You really need to get ALS out of your head. Iwo neuros are very unlikely to be wrong on that score. You'll drive yourself insane if you don't let it go.

Twith,

Poor you, 'obsession' IS a disease. A very painful, time consuming one. Not one that is so easy to let go of. It can be life threatening. Try to at least find a forum that is sympathetic and knowledgable about such problems.

A lot of forum members are struggling to cope with ALS and doing a wonderful job of supporting others. But you are visiting the wrong forum and they have nothing left to offer you.They have done their best. Please try to understand that you need to seek professional help that this forum just can't provide.

Hoping that you find what you really need,

Lorna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back