Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
az
City
az
early signs?

hey everyone I'm new today but I just had a friend get diagnosed with als. now im scared to death i have early signs. My left hand shakes a little bit and I don't knowif the shaking gets bad or are they just little tremors. My Dr. says my strenght is perfect but I Feel like I'm getting weak and uncordinated. I have had blood tests an MRI and a CTscan all normal. My Dr. also said if there was any muscle break down my test would have shown is this true? I'm a firefighter and a father of four beautiful girls. Go figure I'm suppose to carry this image but the father in me is a little scared. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And my thoughts and prayers are with you all!

I just wanted to add that I'm 30yrs old in good shape and do suffer from some anxiety. i also wanted to share I have had fatigue over the past couple of months. thank you.

sorry i'm still learning how to post. My friend was just diagnosed with ALS and now I'm scared I have early signs as well. My left hand shakes a little bit and i fell like im uncordinated with it.. My doctor has done blood tests an MRI and a CTsacn. He says that the blood test would have shown muscle breakdown and that it was normal. He says my strength is awesome and he did a neuro exam and says i dont show any signs. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Im a firefighter and a daddy of four girls. Im suppose to carry this image but the daddy is coming out in me

Put ALS out of your mind. Trust your Neurologist - especially when nothing you've described points towards the disease. You're going to be fine. Best of luck.

Re: early signs?

A little hand tremor is not a symptom of ALS. You are anxious probably because of your friends ALS. Enjoy your family and you may find the tremor goes away
Aly

Is your friend a firefighter too? Your symptoms don't sound like ALS.

AL

hey AL my friend is not a firefighter as well. I think it just scared me a lot since he is only 41 and in good shape. But from the research I have done ALS seems to be diagnosed almost late into the disease since symptoms have to be in the upper and lower extremities right? Are you a firefighter as well Al? judging by your picture I figured you are! once a firefighter always a brother!

Hey there Alyoop and Brentonjb, Thank you very much for your quick replay. Its nice talking to people that understand when someone is scared. In a way people take your kind words and advice over doctors who are in the room for three minutes and cant wait to bill the insurance. I hope You guys dont think I wasting your time! But as a health care provider I'm the worst patient ever! and I hope I can ask you questions down the road as I'm sure watching my friend and his family go through this it will start to wear on me.

Hey Brentonjb just wanted to add that my primary doctor said that he feels that I dont need to see a neuro since im not really showing signs of athropy I think thats how it is spelled or weakness. So should I take his word or insist on seeing one? I'm very close to my doctor and I always listen to him. But my weakness seems to be when im doing something light like picking up my new born. But my grip strenght seems to still be strong in my left even though I'm right handed. If anyone is reading this any info would help as well.

Yes kp I was a Captain in a dept with 500 full time guys and 2 of us have ALS. Don't get all goofy and think you've got it. Most of the guys that I know with it are older before SCBA was used all the time. You don't have the right symptoms. Stay off the net, you'll just get crazy.

AL.

Put ALS out of your mind. Trust your Neurologist - especially when nothing you've described points towards the disease. You're going to be fine. Best of luck.

The irony here is nearly more than I can stand.

And, to kpfirefighter, your symptoms don't sound like ALS to me either. Sorry to hear about your friend's diagnosis. Send him and his caregivers our way. Plenty of good information here for him and them.

Thats good advice AL! Thats why they pay you the big bucks AL! But its always nice to meet a new friend such as yourself. I've been reading on this forum for a couple weeks and how honoring is must be to have reached so many people AL. Your voice is heard with great respect. I too come from a big dept. and you know our mentality with using our SCBA's all the time WE SUCK AT IT! But I hope that if I have anymore concerns I can ask you and you wont be bothered by me.

Hey trfogey,
I know it might sound crazy but this is why i joined to get a personal perspective on this. I have 4 daughters under 5yrs of age and it opened my eyes! My friend has asked my wife and I if we could take care of his medical needs when the time comes and that tore my guts out! my wife is a nurse and I'm a paramedic with a fire dept. So I want to be there for him but with all due respects not next to him! thats why i was scared and I hope my symptoms dont get worse. Thank you very much for the reply I will inform him about this support!

hey everyone how do you know when your muscle are starting to get weak? I mean does it have to get to a certain degree until you notice it? or atrophy? I mean is your dominate side going to be bigger no matter what? It seems to be my left side. my hand feels weak and so does my left leg. Its more in my left wrist, thumb and index finger that feels weird and left ankle but my toes feel fine so I dont know. Its been a cold winter with not much activity but I have never had this problem with weakness. Or maybe since hearing from my friend I'm just noticing and over compensating my left side.

I think your first post answers that. Your tests and strength are all fine. Your Doctor has given you the all clear. How have you managed 4 daughters under 5! I thought I did well with 4 daughters under 7! wow you must be busy!?
Aly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back