Learn about ALS
Country
AU
State
NSW
City
Sydney
Hi There!
I am a 30 year old female. I have noticed weakness in my right hand (which I thought was odd as I am right handed!) as well as less dexterity (feel a bit uncoordinated using my right hand). I can still write, though it does feel awkward, and do up buttons on shirts etc.

I went to my Dr today as this was bothering me (I have anxiety). He noted that my reflexes on my right arm were more brisk than my left, (I am assuming that my reflexes were normal on my left). He didn't note any weakness when I squeezed both of his hands with my own at the same time. Though he did think it was odd that my right hand didn't feel stronger that my left given that it is my dominant hand.

I have read that asymetrical reflexes are indicitive of ALS? I see a neurologist Monday but am sooooooooo scared! I have 3 young children, all of which are under 7 and under and am petrified of leaving them behind!

I know that you are not Drs but would love to hear of others exeperiences, thoughts on these symptoms......

Thank you so much!

Hoping for the best, Zoe

Zoe, weakness can be caused by a host of neurological conditions. MND is just one of a library! Don't try and self diagnose, it will send you crazy, believe me. Leave it to your neurologist to work out what is going on.
Best of luck for your appt. Do let us know how you got on.

Aly

You're pretty young for ALS. There are some benign things that can cause some weakness. Could be neck issues or something as simple as a trapped nerve in your wrist or elbow.

Be glad you're getting in to a see a neuro so fast--I've waited a year for a neuro referral--and have lost the use of my left (dominant) hand waiting.

Thanks for your replies. I am really paranoid about this muscle weakness and brisk right arm reflex! Cant wait to see the neuro Monday! In the referral my Dr said he could find very little on examination? So why say that my right arm reflex is more brisk than my left?!
I am so grateful for this forum!
X

Testing someones reflexes are highly subjective. It may be that your Dr is concerned that one may have been brisker, but only mildly. The neuros are much better at deciding when a reflex is brisk or not. Try not to worry.

Hi again,
I have also noticed which I forgot to mention that my right arm muscle (bicep I think?) never really feels like it relaxes? It always feels tight. A lot tighter than my left? Is this a feature of ALS?
Thanks for taking the time to answer. It's going to be a long wait until Monday!

Anyone? Really struggling!

Anyone? Really struggling!

Why? What makes you think that you need to be concerned about ALS at all? As Aly said, there are a library of things that could be causing your problems.

Thanks for your reply,
I am concerened about ALS due to the loss of dexterity in my right hand and the brisk reflex in my right arm compared to my left. I was told that was due to death of LMN?
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!

I also forgot to mention that I find my right tires easily, for example lifting my full kettle. It is easier to life with my left as when I lift the full kettle with my right hand I feel as though I am about to drop it?
Thanks for your replies!

Thanks for your reply,
I am concerened about ALS due to the loss of dexterity in my right hand and the brisk reflex in my right arm compared to my left. I was told that was due to death of LMN?
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!

The death of lower motor neurons results in reduced reflexes (hyporeflexia), not brisk reflexes (hyperreflexia).

What happens to you when you have a "loss of dexterity"?

The loss of dexterity is in my right hand, particularly the ring finger. I am not nimble I this hand at all. I find that I really have to concentrate to perform twos that require agility, eg hanging clothes on the line, writing etc. I am still able to do these things, though my dexterity is reduced. It feels as though my ring finger and little finger have a mind of their own?
I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Hey LadyW

All of us with als are very different. I have had als 4 years (5 in Oct) and no I never feel as though I can't relax any muscle. I get slight tingling in my pinky and ring finger though not often. Also, I have no problem with manuel dexterity. Hope your neuro appt goes well.

Thanks. Sorry about all the typos. I'm using my iPad and it has that auto correct feature!
Im just convinced that it is ALS as all my symptoms fit. I have 3 little girls so I'm really hoping for anything else!

LadyW. I sympathize with the auto correct on the iPad, they happen so fast that you do not notice them.

I want to comment on your comment about your symptoms fitting. All your symptoms do not fit ALS at all. It's probably the MOST unlikely diagnosis. It far more likely to be a COMMON problem like a trapped nerve. The pinky and inner size of your ring finger is controlled by your ulnar nerve. It decreases dexterity in those fingers if inflamed or trapped. This is just 1 of many causes, so please leave the diagnosis to the Doctors. You are wasting your time and energy stressing.
Aly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back