Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
VA
City
Forest
I am a 23 y/o African American male and I think I have ALS.. I am somewhat of an hyperchondriac. All of my symptoms started about 3 months ago when my friend passed away from a brain tumor... I suffered a terrible headache, pain behind my eyes, and numbness in my fingers/toes. I felt "out of it" and my vision was distorted (floaters). My doctor told me it was a tension headache caused by stress and anxiety. The headache eventually went away but the numbness accompanied by tingling continued in my extremities which lasted for a couple of days... I also woke up a couple of times with the left side of my face feeling numb and I noticed at night one of my feet would feel warmer than the other... The sensory issues eventually subsided..
My toes started twitching initially.... After about a week or so my entire body was twitching (biceps, thighs, buttocks, calves etc..). I went to another GP who made me take off my clothes and conducted a neurological exam..He said that I looked fine and if I was still concerned he would refer me to a neurologist.... By this time I was also experiencing cramping (calves and arms) and weakness... I went to the neurologist and told him about my cramping, weakness, and twitching but I don't think he took me seriously..He did his residency at the Mayo Clinic and specializes in neuromuscular disorders... He told me that ALS is extremely rare and even more rare in people my age age....He told me that most cases in people my age are familial.... Anyways, he conducted strength/reflex tests and also did the babinski test... I also had blood work to check muscle enzyme levels and electrolytes..... Everything came back normal... He told me I don't have ALS...Should a get a second opinion?

Seems like you have had a good examination and you do not have ALS. Your symptoms do not sound anything like it. Listen to your Doctor and take the advice given. If things get worse then you can always get another opinion at sometime in the future.

You had a very thorough examination by an expert in the field. I wouldn't second guess that. It is time to embrace your youth and your life. It is always shocking when someone young loses their life to a horrible disease, especially a close friend or family member. I understand that more than you can imagine.

Go out and get active. Enjoy everything that you can. See a PT or a therapist to get control of your anxiety and find a productive way to release that pent up tension and energy. You deserve that.

Love and light
Meg

You suffered a psychological trauma and since the neurons in the psyche uses the same basic substances and processes as those handling motor neurons, the imbalances caused by the psychological strain spilled over on to your motor functions.

As an example, Rilutek, which is the only approved, albeit marginally effective substance for treating ALS, is effective for treating mood and anxiety disorders.

For some reason people on this formum do not tend to believe me and this silly forum delays posts conatining links so anyone doubting my word may please use s c h o l a r . g o o g l e . c o m with the search term "Riluzole in Psychiatry"

If you find this forum silly and not up to your high standards you can leave and start your own. BTW why would any of us believe everything you say?

AL.

Good question Al , in this particular case the answer is since I know due to a combination of pure knowledge and direct personal experience.

We should blindly accept everything you say because you say you have knowledge and experience. Ya right!

AL.

Dr. G

It is quite apparent that you are not classically educated and trained and it is also quite evident that you are "self-taught." It's like someone trying to use big words but they don't quite use them correctly. You might be a big fish in your little pond . . . but now you're in a much bigger pond. I know you mean well but please don't disparage this forum. I won't stand for it.

I am sorry about your best friend. Your first sentence was very insightful. You mentioned hypochondria which explains a lot. The neurologist you saw sounds highly competent. I would feel good that you do not have ALS. Perhaps you could see a Dr. about your anxiety or if you are depressed from the loss of your friend. Best of luck to you!

You suffered a psychological trauma and since the neurons in the psyche uses the same basic substances and processes as those handling motor neurons, the imbalances caused by the psychological strain spilled over on to your motor functions.

As an example, Rilutek, which is the only approved, albeit marginally effective substance for treating ALS, is effective for treating mood and anxiety disorders.

For some reason people on this formum do not tend to believe me and this silly forum delays posts conatining links so anyone doubting my word may please use s c h o l a r . g o o g l e . c o m with the search term "Riluzole in Psychiatry"

People on this forum don't tend to believe you because you have not yet established a reputation as being credible. I've personally checked several of the links that you've posted in response to having some of your pronouncements here questioned and, while there is a nugget of truth in what you say, you tend to extrapolate beyond what the papers you cite actually do say. Your posts here claim things to be fact that are only theory at this point. It's your right to interpret the science any way you choose, but more consistency in distinguishing between their theories and your personal theories would be appreciated.

And one big reason that people don't believe you is displayed right here in this quote: your scorn for anyone who questions what you do here. The forum policies about posting links are well-known. All of us who have been here a while accept that as a necessary inconvenience to prevent forum spam. When I ask you for a citation concerning something you've said, I appreciate the links, so I'm not expecting your replies to my requests to show up for a while. You seem to be bridling at this, as if the speed with which your response is posted somehow affects its credibility or casts some kind of aspersion on you.

Thus far, when people have made suggestions on how you could modify your posting habits to better fit in with the community here, you've responded with an attitude that the community should adjust to you. That doesn't do much toward establishing either credibility for yourself or sympathy for the changes you think should be made here. A good message in the hands of a bad messenger might as well be a bad message and usually ends up being treated as one.

Good question Al , in this particular case the answer is since I know due to a combination of pure knowledge and direct personal experience.

Care to elaborate on that a bit? It won't require a link of any kind of and people tend to accept being talked down to more gracefully if they have an idea of the condescender's credentials beyond just being a troll on the Internet with a big vocabulary and good search engine skills . Not that I'm accusing you of being a troll, mind you, but getting your back up when you get challenged on the Internet is usually good evidence that you're either insincere or immature, although, in your case, I'd simply attribute it to being intellectually snobbish. But I guess that intellectual snobbery is just a form of emotional immaturity, isn't it?

ALS has an average age of onset in the fifties. Numbness/tingling and vision problems aren't signs, nor are headaches. Good luck

DrGooglittle.
As I mentioned earlier, if you think you're so much better, go start your own forum. I'm not having a good week. My wife had a breast cancer operation last Wed. so I'm not putting up with any BS. So conform or piss off or I'll take you out. YOUR CHOICE.

AL.

I hate that all of this has hijacked the original post. Al I am sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she is OK and will keep her in my prayers.

Thanks for your prayers and kind thoughts Ted.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back