Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ma
City
salem
time and times, you folks, my neuro, and my family have told me i DONT HAVE ALS! ...but for the last couple days i have a new symptom that started after i saw my neuro. My left hand is bothering me ... i dont' think there is "real" weakness. But 2 days ago my left thumb has been twitching, moving on its own side to side.. .and the part of my palm of my hand that the thumb is connected to is crampy and twitching! this is day # 3 and it goes off and on all day. I know i need to stop with this als fear..but reassurance helps me out with that.

im used to the bodywide twitching.. and am pretty comfortable with it being diagnosed as a benign condition.. but this new thumb thing is really freaking me out for some reason!

you are worrying over nothing listen to the doc. and go live your life remember as we get older our bodies change , thats the way of life.i wish i was in your shoes because hearing thoes three letter changed my life as i knew it and theres nothing no one can do to chage things so please go live life now and see where you are in a few to three monts . bes wishes to you

i know, im sorry its just I KNOW that isolated fasics and cramping especially in a hand or foot , CAN be the start of als... but my question is--- can that come before weakness? i don't think i have weakness.

Nay nay, it's good that your thumb is moving with the twitches, it's myokymia and will just go away. It's like a lip or eyelid twitch, very common and benign. I had a twitching finger, caused by myokymia in my forearm. Lasted 3 months then went.
So take a deep breath andvas we always tell you, it's not ALS.
Aly

i know, im sorry its just I KNOW that isolated fasics and cramping especially in a hand or foot , CAN be the start of als... but my question is--- can that come before weakness? i don't think i have weakness.

If you are still twitching in other parts of your body, then your newest twitches are not "isolated".

Nay nay, it's good that your thumb is moving with the twitches, it's myokymia and will just go away. It's like a lip or eyelid twitch, very common and benign. I had a twitching finger, caused by myokymia in my forearm. Lasted 3 months then went.
So take a deep breath andvas we always tell you, it's not ALS.
Aly

Thanks aly, you are great. you always have great info. Now if I could just actually take the info and turn it into positive thoughts and energy i'd be fine----along with staying off of this site! :eek:

Of course you can. I know you can do it. You know what helped me, was, looking back at the time that had passed between when I first got worried I may have ALS, and now. In ALS the weakness developes and relentlessly gets worse. I would take a breath and realize that my weakness, just was not getting worse fast enough. 4 years have now passed, so nope, I don't have it. Look back at when you first got worried, if you do not have weakness, then I can assure you all will be fine :)

I just wanted to put in, no symptom that lasts just a few days or even a few weeks should ever cause you to wonder if you're developing an incurable lifelong neuro disease. That isn't the time frame they work on.

Of course you can. I know you can do it. You know what helped me, was, looking back at the time that had passed between when I first got worried I may have ALS, and now. In ALS the weakness developes and relentlessly gets worse. I would take a breath and realize that my weakness, just was not getting worse fast enough. 4 years have now passed, so nope, I don't have it. Look back at when you first got worried, if you do not have weakness, then I can assure you all will be fine :)

YES, you are correct. Thats why iv'e become SLIGHTLY comfortable with the widespread/bodywide twitching becuase that has been over 5 1/2 months with no weakness or new symptoms. The thumb thing is new, but now that youv'e explained the myokymia ---it makes me feel better. plus my little princess baby girl keeps me very busy so I tend to not notice the twitches much. :lol:

Question--- I'm not too worried..but i often notice ((i notice, not others)) that my speech is "off" maybe a little lispy or slurred... but then another time I sound fine. I probably wouldnt notice it or even have it at all if my anxiety and fear of ALS was there. I wonder if the speech thing (which is probably nothing, but my anxiety makes me think its there and something sinister)--- could be anxiety? and just that?

and im very sorry to keep taking up you folks time with all these silly questions, but youv'e all been a great help.

Not silly question. If I get really tired, I get a bit slurry, always have a bit. You are a new mum and most probably a bit sleep deprived and just plain exhausted:) tiredness can certainly cause twitching to increase, topped with a bit of anxiety.
When I was about getting worse I was meaning weakness, not the twitching, that's just a nuisance. You need to think .....Time passing............no weakness.........yay.

You have a great day. It's April fools day with all sorts of silliness. :)
I am off for a facial :)
Aly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back