Not open for further replies.

vcarp

Country
US
State
WI
City
Dunbar
Okay, from what started as a sciatic like pain in my left leg three months ago, I'm left with weakness in that left leg, but not enough that it is useless. The weakness seems to be more in the aductor muscles and hamstring, secondarily in the calf. I feel it when I first get up from a chair or climb stairs. On level ground at normal pace, no problem. I can't balance on my left foot like I used to. I feel a bit tottering. Well, then about a month ago,my left arm felt a bit odd. It seems weak, but I have a light tingling in my middle finger through pinky and some weekness in index and thumb. I can still do everything, it just feels odd. This spread to my right hand this week. My right leg is now experiencing the same symptoms as my left - without the pain, but weakness and odd feelings in the same places to a lesser degree than the left. The weakness seems to have moved to the quads. I have small fasics in all the muscle groups in which I find weakness. Some that I don't. But these aren't extended fasics like I read about here. I have a muscle twitch one or two times, six at most. Sometimes the twitches go off at the same time, like a single twitch in three different muscle groups. I have maybe 12 twitches per hour when I'm having them - which is not all the time.

Additionally, since Thanksgiving/Christmas I've had horseness that comes on when I talk for long periods of time. I teach and by the end of the day my voice sounds froggy. My eustachian tubes have been clogged, and I often have a lump in my throat. In the last week, I've been getting an odd sensation spreading across my lower face. It seems like a weakness of sorts, but I'm not slurring my speech - I seem to be stuttering (ha! more than usual). What gives? is this typical of ALS?

I can still bound up the steps two at a time, but I feel odd just under the buttocks when I do. I feel weak in my arms. Books seem heavier.

Have you seen a doctor, had an MRI?

Just a GP, and Psychiatrist. I'm on Celexa and Zyprex now.

The sciatic pain can point to disc disease, which in turn can cause leg weakness, foot drop etc, but it does not explain the arm problem. I think you can disregard the twitches, you are not getting many and they are a common problem in healthy people.
I think that if you can get a neurological review, it would be a good idea. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. An answer to your symptoms or knowledge that all is ok.
Does not sound remotely like the beginnings of a MND, which is good news.
I would insist on a referral.
Aly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back