Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
OR
City
Portland
Hi. I'm a 35 yr. old mom with small children. After having my last baby I started having some weird symptoms. I woke up one morning with my right arm tingling. Then it felt weak. I went in for an MRI. Came back normal. Then a few weeks later I had an aching down both of my arms off and on. Now both arms are weak all of the time and feels like they'll shake at any moment. And sometimes do, with motion. I notice a weird catching of the nerve in both wrists when I bending them sometimes, like when you hit your funny bone. When I move my hands bending the wrists they tremble with movement. The weakness is getting worse. I now have aching down my legs. I'm really worried. My neurologist first said carpel tunnel syndrome. But that's not it. My GP thinks it's stress. I am stressed and worried. But this has arose from these scary things going on. Does this sound like ALS?

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Mom75,
Did you have an epidural with this birth?

Hi. I'm a 35 yr. old mom with small children. After having my last baby I started having some weird symptoms. I woke up one morning with my right arm tingling. Then it felt weak. I went in for an MRI. Came back normal. Then a few weeks later I had an aching down both of my arms off and on. Now both arms are weak all of the time and feels like they'll shake at any moment. And sometimes do, with motion. I notice a weird catching of the nerve in both wrists when I bending them sometimes, like when you hit your funny bone. When I move my hands bending the wrists they tremble with movement. The weakness is getting worse. I now have aching down my legs. I'm really worried. My neurologist first said carpel tunnel syndrome. But that's not it. My GP thinks it's stress. I am stressed and worried. But this has arose from these scary things going on. Does this sound like ALS?

No, your problems do not sound like ALS. Numbness, tingling, and radiating pain are not symptoms of ALS. Your symptoms are much more characteristic of nerve impingement of some kind (which carpal tunnel syndrome is) than it is of ALS.

What other symptoms do you have that make you think you might have ALS?

Yes I did have an epidural. But this began 4 months after my baby. I did have numbness in my bottom for 3 months. Could they be related?

The progressive weakness over the last 5 months in my arms and now legs are my symptoms of ALS. I used to be able to carry my baby for long periods, now I only hold her for a few minutes before needing to put her down. My arm are so weak they are shaky. I am athletic and healthy previous to this.

Has anyone had symptoms like these before?

The progressive weakness over the last 5 months in my arms and now legs are my symptoms of ALS. I used to be able to carry my baby for long periods, now I only hold her for a few minutes before needing to put her down. My arm are so weak they are shaky. I am athletic and healthy previous to this.

Has anyone had symptoms like these before?

Most likely, someone has had those symptoms, but those symptoms aren't specific to just ALS, nor are they typical of ALS.

There is a difference between clinical weakness, which is what ALS patients have, and reduced muscular stamina or endurance, which is what you are describing as your symptom. Your neurologist would have noticed clinical weakness and done further tests (such as an EMG) to try to determine its cause. Additionally, there are other symptoms of ALS involving reflexes and general muscle tone that your neurologist would have seen and been concerned about. You don't mention any of those symptoms, so we can only assume you don't have them.

Also, ALS would start in a hand and spread up the arm. It doesn't start in both arms at the same time. Neither does it spread to both legs at the same time.

Two doctors have examined you and neither of them has told you, or even suggested to you, that you have ALS. Why do you believe the misinformation you've read on the Internet over the advice of two doctors, one of whom is trained in the diagnosis of neurological disorders?

I suggest you return to your neurologist with your concerns, more often than not perceived weakness is muscle fatigue, rather than clinical weakness. It may provide the reassurance you need. It's nothing like the beginning of ALS, so that's the great news!
Aly

Thank you for your replies. I haven't been back to the neurologist since December. A lot has changed. So that's my next step.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back