Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Minnesota
City
Robbinsdale
Wife is 37 years old. Approximately 10 months ago, she developed periodic, deep, dry cough combined with difficulty breathing and general fatigue. Over the last year, has had three separate episodes of scarlet fever type rash and sore throat. Strep cultures came back negative. At or about same timeframe, noticed non-localized fasciculations and slight tremor to right hand. Pulmonologist found no damage to lungs. Prescribed Advair and Prednisone to treat what she believed were symptoms of previously diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis. Breathing and energy capablities improved 80%. Took off Prednisone and breathing/fatigue symptoms returned. No evidence of muscle atrophy or localized areas of muscle weakness.

Performed breathing strength test about a week ago and found significantly weak chest muscles. She is scheduled to see a neurologist tomorrow who we expect will perform an EMG test.

Any thoughts about the above-described history and the liklihood of ALS would be most appreciated.

Doesn't sound like ALS to me.

Doesn't sound like ALS as previously stated. Breathing is not improved by prednisone in ALS. If prednisone improved her by 80% then surely it must have an inflammatory origin?
Aly

I have to agree. ALS patients are not treated with medication for breathing it would not help as it is all muscle related. We use bi paps and vents. I wish the best for her and you.

Thank you all for the helpful feedback.

Would it be unusual for ALS to initially present within the respiratory muscles?

Yes, Its not impossible, but extremely rare indeed.
Aly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back