Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
au
State
australia
City
blacktown
Hello,,,32 years old, mommy of 1 little boy.

4 months ago i started twitchin all over my body. like popcorn popping under my skin! very strange. so of course like everyone else here i googld! bad mistake.

anyhow, i went to a nurologist, show said im fine. He said he wasn't going to run any tests based on fasics alone and i don't have ALS.

but, over the past 2 weeks...the twitching has been ONLY in my legs, mostly my left.

along with that leg feeling sore..random sore spots on that leg. aches and pains etc.

what do you folks think,?

thanks-
lydia

by the way, the achey leg and twtiching only isoloated to my legs started AFTER i saw the neuro.

Please visit aboutbfs.com. That is probably what you have. I have bfs. The twitching happens bodywide, and there is no weakness. Believe your neuro. The only reason I even pop in here is to tell people to go over there. Do yourself a favor and stop thinking about ALS as a possibility. It isn't. ALS does not start with bodywide twitching. Trust me. You can search my previous posts. I to had one leg become the dominant place and it twitched in one spot for 2 weeks straight. This was back in September. Guess what It stopped and there is no weakness. I would also suggest you read some of trfogey's posts, and possibly tokahfang (he had a really good one recently). Both of them do a fantastic job explaining things.

Thank you, yes i was reading past posts here a little while ago....but that also got me more scared--because it looks like als CAN start with twitching and soreness alone...i could be wrong, im trying to believe my nuro. but the achey/wobbly left leg started after i saw her. thanks though, you did help some of my anxiety ... its' good to know that im not alone

Oh you sound so much like me. You have convinced yourself that it is possible. I can assure you that it really isn't. ALS DOES NOT start bodywide like that. If it did it would EXTREMLY rare. Like they would be doing case studies on you. Go look at a post under general discussion that I started called "the great twitching debate." You will notice a few people started with twitching, but it was either focal (meaning always in the same spot), and there is one widespread person, but you will note that he had slurring of speech at the same time. Everyone else said weakness first. And not on my arm feel funny weakness, but hey I can't open this door weakness. The best way it has ever been descrived here is by trfogey. He said, "It's not how a muscle feels, it's how a muscle fails."

I am confident you have bfs. My main reason why is not by what you wrote though, it is because you went to a neuro, and had tests. Trust me the reflex and strength tests they give you would show something if something was wrong.

YES, he did stregnth tests and the reflux and neuro exam...but nothing like emg, ncv etc. i don't feel weak,,,but that leg is a little wobbly...i should go read through old posts by trfogey, i was also reading some by alyoop that perosn seems educated also. wow this als thing is causing me terribel anxiety...and i truly deep downHOPE that idon't have it

Alyoop is good also. BTW I did not have an EMG or anything else. No blood tests. Nothing. The clinical will pick up signs of nerve damage. Those doctors went to school for many years, and they know what they are doing. You will not get past this anxiety until you believe this. It doesn't matter how many tests they run, if you don't believe the results.

Look at this way if you went to the doctor and they found a tumor. You had the tumor removed, they tested it, and said, it's not cancer. Would you then believe they were wrong, and that you in fact had cancer? BTW this happened to be also. I had one removed, and I 100% believe it was not cancerous.

Wow.. .sorry you had to go thru the tumor thing. but good to know it wasnt cancer. that makes sense though to look at it like that.
i try real hard..but then i get a twitch/spasm/ache and think als! thanks to ggle!

What you don't want to know was where the tumor was. Let's just say that i can't imagine having it is worse place for a guy. And Dr. G--gle sucks. He is not very personable, and he is not all that accurate. He also can't perform reflex tests, or strength tests. A real live neuro can!

wow , yes its insane the amount of health related anxiety i have caused myslef. my nuro didn't mention bfs....he just said said anxiety and stress. and said im very strong , im just wondering if im a case that starts with twithcng and soreness in my leg.....and then weakness later?

I am sorry but you are becomming neurotic about this. You need to listen to your doctors, get a second opinion and stay off of the internet. They told you no ALS. End of that story. Be grateful and go live life, all any of us have is today don't waist it worrying.

My neuro didn't say bfs either. He said benign twitching and that was that. Think of it this way. If he even thought for a minute that you had anything going on wouldn't be be testing you further. Also wouldn't be me following up with you at 6 month intervals? You don't have ALS, now unless you are reading trfogey's posts it's time to stop searching the net. Any once you have read enough of his posts to feel better it's time to stop searching here too.

i also notice i have stiff ankles and heels when i get out of bed in the morning... the stiffness, pain, soreness in one leg started AFTER i saw the nuro. so he wasnt aware of these symptoms

I'll chime in now, so what you have stiff ankles and heels. Get a life, you don't have ALS.

This is the last thing I will say on this, as I don't seem to be getting through. If there was anything going on when you went to the neuro appointment he would have found it on the clinical exam. It does not matter if your leg feels different now. Are you strength testing the "bad leg" If you are I can promise that is causing all your symtpoms. And lastly if you really think this new symptom is something why don't you call the neuro and tell them you have this new symptom and ask if they want you to come back. I will bet my house they will say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back