Distinguished member
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Hello everyone,

Ever since my "borderline normal" EMG, I have tried to put my symptoms out of my mind as much as possible. The good news is that I am still without debilitating weakness, but unfortunately my symptoms are worse, and I can't ignore their progression. I really want to figure out what this is, because if it's not ALS (which I still don't think it is) I would like to figure out if it can be treated.

Here's my question to the very kind people on this forum, both those with an ALS diagnosis and to my fellow undiagnosed brethren:

Did you ever have a problem with muscles that still functioned, but shook and trembled with even mild exertion? Lately my face cannot hold an expression for more than a few seconds without trembling, whether it's my nose, lips, eyelids or eyebrows. This also happens with my fingers, my hip, my arms and other parts of my body. I tried to do Yoga the other week and with every stretch I felt like a human earthquake.

Whatever this is, the progression of weakness is super slow and subtle. I'm grateful that it's slow, but I'm obviously concerned about the fact that I have progressive weakness at all (in conjunction with atrophy and fasiculations.)

Thanks for your time; my thoughts are with all of you.

Andy

Hi, I have the same symptoms of shaking/trembling but I do not think its progressing. Its much worse when I am stressed (the face tremor when smiling especially). I did have problems with thyroid gland and this (according to my endocrinologist) could be caused by that. Are you on any meds? Clonazepam worsen this (especially).

Thanks Blizna. I take levoxyl for thyroid problems, but my doctors have all said that my levels are good and that my thyroid issues aren't causing my symptoms. Who knows though...

Andy ,what do you mean by borderline EMG? Was it abnormal?
Aly

Andy, while ago I read a study about woman whose fasciculations did not disappear even though her thyroid problems have been resolved.

All my symptoms (fasciculations, cramps and others) started after a thyroid surgery in which half of the gland was pulled out. All the thyroid related tests came back normal even after the symptoms started so I don't know if it is related but I believe it is since I have never had anything like that before the surgery. Another possibility is that the surgery was some kind of trigger to something else but who knows...

Andy ,what do you mean by borderline EMG? Was it abnormal?
Aly

There was one small finding in my left elbow/ulnar area of reduced nerve conduction. They called it a normal study with one exception of uncertain significance.

It's my understanding that reduced nerve conduction isn't even suggestive of ALS, but their wording on the summary of the report had me concerned:

"There is no evidence of brachial plexopathy on either side, and no evidence of a disorder affecting cervical roots or motor neurons on the right."

So, reading that, it sounds like there could possibly be evidence of a disorder affecting cervical roots or motor neurons on the left.

Great news, and a common type of asymptomatic abnormality. Hopefully your Dr will be able to help in some way with your other symptoms and shed some light on your issues.
Aly

:) Thank you, Aly.

The docs have been pretty much baffled, but the good news is that none of them think it's ALS. The maybe-not-so-good news is that the only theory that one of them suggested was that my symptoms are due to a long term side effect of radiation to my spine from cancer treatment about 17 years ago, and they don't know if it will continue to get worse over time.

I'm only 28, so if there's anything I can do to slow down the progression I want to try it!

It seems that exercising and losing weight actually make my symptoms worse, which is kind of disheartening.

Try magnesium. I think up to 1000 mg a day is safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back