Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
First I should say that I arrived here, possibly as some others did, from googling muscle twitching.

I should also say that I'm a hypochondriac (even though it took quite a long time to admit this to myself I've begun a period of self realization recently.)

After arriving here and other sites with information about ALS I have spent a good deal of time reading and learning. Before I ask any questions I want you to know that my heartfelt sympathy and prayer goes out to you all.

Recently I started to notice some shaking in my hands, both at rest and in motion. Sometimes both the hands shake in their entirety and other times I just see a sort of bubble popping up and down under my right index finger. I understand about BFS (especially with stress and anxiety which I have plenty of) so I don't think that I'm too worried about this.

What I'm trying to find out is how 'weakness' is defined in terms of being an early warning sign or possible presenter for ALS.

I don't seem to have any issues with my grip, drop, etc. in hands or feet (and yes I have done all the paranoia exercises) but my arms seem to get tired fast. I get trembling from lifting things, the kind you get from lifting something extremely heavy or holding something heavy for a long time, like muscles straining to hold on. But I'm getting that from lifting things like a glass of water (slight trembling) to semi heavy boxes (more trembling.) It doesn't exactly feel like I have to put the object down early, not physically but perhaps mentally. Is this defined as weakness or warning sign for ALS that I should be overly concerned about?

I've also been getting a burning muscle pain in my upper left leg but no loss of mobility or strength.

Wrists and hands are also in terrible pain (I do use the computer an awful lot and understand about CPS.)

I had a nerve conduction and brain MRI last year when I was getting tingling in my hands and feet (which lasted only a week and is perhaps the only neuro type of problem or symptom I've had in my life other than what I am posting about today) and they came back ok. But I wasn't having these symptoms then.

These symptoms only started recently, waiting for an appt with my PCP to get a Neuro referral.

I should also say that the problems with my arms, wrists, etc. onset very quickly, perhaps within the last two weeks. I'm more confused about the terms (again 'weakness' in this sense I guess.)

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, I'm sure you have seen others like this before (just anxiety perhaps) but I would appreciate any input.

It's a good question and often asked. What you are experiencing is muscle fatigue, loss of muscle stamina. When a muscle is fatigued it will tire, sometimes tremble and burn. Weakness however is when a muscle loses the ability to operate and actually fails. For instance, you can't pick up the cup, or you pick the cup up but it quickly returns to the bench! The drs test for weakness and rate it according to how bad it is, or the ammonite of resistance they feel. If you can push against the resistance then itvwould be a 5. If you cannot lift your limb then that would be a 1.

A person being diagnosed with ALS. Will have increasing muscle weakness which will be impacting on there Quality of life. Not doing up buttons, foot drop causing falls. Not getting up from the ground, can't hold the cup to take a sip etc etc.

You dr will test you for clinical weakness, and it is always best to leave it to the experts. Your sudden muscle fatigue could be caused by many things ,most commonly viral, but thankfully not ALS, which presents usually in just one limb eg finger or toe

Hope this helps
Aly

What you are describing is muscle fatigue and not muscle weakness, especially if you say you can still perform all of your daily activities in a more-or-less "normal" manner. Furthermore, the weakness attributed to ALS develolps so slowly and insidiously, that one doesn't realize it's happening.

As you know (because you say you have been doing a lot of reading), burning muscle pain, along with pain in your wrists and hands (unless the pain is due to muscle cramps), have absolutely nothing to do with ALS; those are sensory symptoms (again, as you know).

On top of that . . . symptoms with ALS do not develop in a matter of two weeks.

Lastly . . . you are a self-described hypochondriac that is on the internet attempting to self-diagnose yourself. Most people stopped reading after you stated those facts because they knew that you were about to share signs and symptoms that have absolutely nothing to do with ALS . . . and more than likely . . . nothing that is serious in the least (physically, at least).

Do yourself a favor and get off of the internet and address the issues at hand: hypochondria and the need to search the internet for answers. I can assure you, the answers are not on the internet. Go see a physician if you have concerns and then believe what he/she has to say.

Thank you both for the information and input, especially the definition of weakness as it applies here. And I will take your advice and stop panicking myself with Dr. Google.

Weakness as pertains to ALS, not being able to open a soda bottle or can, not being able to clip your own nails, I could go on ............................

Thank you again for the info, I've got a referral and will see a neuro in two weeks. Since posting I've started to experience little rippling feelings all over (legs, arms, shoulders, forearms, calves) when at rest and spasming? (jerking legs, arms, neck) when at rest or trying to go to sleep just seemingly random. Given that this has all started within two weeks is keeping me bouyant since from what I have seen if it was ALS it would most likely not onset this fast.

Again I want to say thank you to the people who took time to respond to my questions and my prayers go out to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back