Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
United Kingdom
City
Yorkshire
I am 28 (Soon to be 29) and i was worried about Motor Neurone Disease recently but now i am worried even more.

Today i went to the dentist to have a tooth removed and the dentist said that i am suffering from Oxidative Stress and this can be caused be Sleep Apnea and other causes.

When i got home i researched Oxidative Stress and found out that it can be caused by things such as:-

Motor Neurone Disease
Alzheimer's Disease

Now i am really worried about both of those, I don't have any health problems apart from Asthma and now i am so worried, Should i be worried?

With them seeing this Oxidative Stress by looking in my mouth could it be the type that starts in the mouth?

Should you be worried? No.

You don't have MND. The worst thing you can do is research on the internet. See your doctor and believe what he/she tells you.

Thanks for taking to time to respond to my post.

I forgot to mention 2 other things in my post.

Over the past 2-3 weeks i have woke up and discovered that i have wet myself, This is very unusual and isn't something that ever happens, Also i have something on my tongue that has slightly concerned my dentist, It's like a patch or looks a bit worn.

Listen to the advice Joel gave you, it's correct.

You and your dentist have things a bit mixed up.researchers think that ALS may be caused by oxidative stress. It's still a work in progress. I very much doubt that a dentist or anyone can diagnose "oxidative stress" . It is not caused bY ALS or alzheimers. Your dentist needs to stick to teeth.

You need to see your dr about the bed wetting. That is the thing of concern.
Aly

You and your dentist have things a bit mixed up.researchers think that ALS may be caused by oxidative stress. It's still a work in progress. I very much doubt that a dentist or anyone can diagnose "oxidative stress" . It is not caused bY ALS or alzheimers. Your dentist needs to stick to teeth.

You need to see your dr about the bed wetting. That is the thing of concern.
Aly

I agree with what you say but you can understand me being concerned can't you if my dentist starts saying "You have oxidative stress and it could be sleep apnea or something else" etc etc and it's got me worried now.

I presume that bed wetting isn't linked to ALS/MSD either? I will go and see my doctor about it asap.

I would be concerned if my dentist said that yes. I would probably burst into laughter, and never return, but thats because I know a bit about neurology. If I didnt know anything about it, then absolutely I would be worried, so good on you for finding a place to help.
Its not normal to have a bedwetting issue at your age, It can be caused by many things including, Neurological conditions such as Epilepsy and MS. Anxiety of course as well. Thats why its important to get a check, which I am so glad you are doing.

I would be concerned if my dentist said that yes. I would probably burst into laughter, and never return, but thats because I know a bit about neurology. If I didnt know anything about it, then absolutely I would be worried, so good on you for finding a place to help.
Its not normal to have a bedwetting issue at your age, It can be caused by many things including, Neurological conditions such as Epilepsy and MS. Anxiety of course as well. Thats why its important to get a check, which I am so glad you are doing.

Thanks.

So i can rule out MND then? I presume bedwetting isn't a feature of MND?

The patch on my tongue isn't likely to be tongue atrophy is it? I don't have trouble talking or much trouble eating.

Bedwetting may become an issue when you're near death which you are not. Kidney or bladder infection should be ruled out. You haven't been taking diuretics have you? I'd rule out MND but then I'm not a doctor. Tongue doesn't sound like much either.

AL.

Bedwetting may become an issue when you're near death which you are not. Kidney or bladder infection should be ruled out. You haven't been taking diuretics have you? I'd rule out MND but then I'm not a doctor. Tongue doesn't sound like much either.

AL.

No i don't take Diurectics.

Sorry i meant to have said the dentist were a bit concerned about the patch on the right hand side where the like rainbow shape is.

Are you not listening to a thing anyone here is saying? I can answer that question for you: NO, you are not. This is not the forum you need because your story has absolutely nothing to do with ALS. Congratulations.

Last edited:
No bedwetting is not associated with MND at all! I hate Dr. Giggles...but it makes for interesting newby stories. You do need to be seen by a doctor about the bedwetting. As Aly said it is usually linked to MS but not ALS or any MND for that matter.

I am going to post a pic of something, Anyone who doesn't like looking at people's mouths look away now.

The yellow bit next to the tonsil is just a tonsil stone by the way but my tonsils are always like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back