Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Midwewst
City
Midwest
Hi:

I am new to this and have some questions. My father received a prelimnary diagnosis of ALS about 2 weeks ago and is scheduled for a second opinion at an ALS clinic next week.
He is very weak and has appeared to have lost most of his muscle mass. He has trouble walking, has tripped several times, and cannot lift himself up. He cannot lift eating utensils to the level of his mouth but must lower his head. I would love if it weren't ALS but I am fairly confident in the diagnosis.

The question I have concerns some new events. Recently he had tremors really bad and he shakes. Is this normal for ALS?

I want to learn what I can to help my mother and my aunt (my father's sister) through this awful time as well as my siblings. Any information would be extremely welcomed.

Thanks.
firstchild

Contact your local ALS association, they are such a valuable resourch. I do not know what I would do without them. Do it quickly. Best wishes and so sorry about your dad.

Rox:
Thank you - I didn't even think of that. Great idea. You can tell I am of the computer age - I ran to my computer and the internet for information.

Thanks

You'll find the local ALSA information on the internet, with a phone number. They'll hopefully have many helps for your father in their loan closet. When his diagnosis is firm, contact the MDA/ALS assoc. They do different things, also have loan closets and sometimes can help financially (a structured thing), but they require a doctor's proof of diagnosis.

I cannot lift food from the table to my mouth, so I keep my bowl or plate on my lap. Could a board be placed across the arms of a chair and your father's plate be on that? Also, cut all food up for him and see if a spoon is easier for him to eat with. Another suggestion in order to give him calories is smoothies to drink, with fruit, peanut butter, ice cream or whatever he likes, to sip on in between meals or if he's too tired to eat. He sounds pretty weak... and eating is hard work. My arms shake when I'm tired or if I hold out something away from my body or away from support. I use plastic two handled mugs as seen here: https://www.alsforums.com/forum/tips-tricks-gadgets/9648-catalogue-helpful-items-4.html
Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back