Alena

Country
zz
State
zzzzz
City
zzzzzz
Dear all
i decided to start this threat to ask your opinion..
I have had fasciculations for 4 months now,I had EMG at 2.5 months which was clean.
However after that i noticed that my fasciculations persist even when i move the muscle.Sometimes i also notice fasciculations right after moving a muscle.Is this more malignant than the ones at rest?Are these not bening?what do you think?im really scared it could turn to something else
thank you

hi . . The appearance and frequency of fasciculation does not tend to be indicative of anything . . For example i twitched for 8 years bodywide, every type you can imagine , big thumpers , in still muscle and in every part of the body and as yet i dont have als . . The key to your question lies in the fact that your emg was clean . . Thats great news and should give you comfort . . Also no mention of weakness or atrophy ? . . A good phrase i learnt here is that fasciculation should only be judged by the company they keep . . So without any weakness or atrophy (which is apparently unmistakable ) then its all good . . Hope this helps . . Take care . . Alex

Dear alex
thank you so much for your answer.Do you mind me asking if your fasciculations were similar to mine?after moving or while or only occured at rest?
Do you think 2.5 months of twitching is enough to show in an emg or should i repeat it?
Thank you very much

My husband had these on his tongue and quads with weakness shown on a recent emg test, he has over time ( he has never felt them ) when looking down he can see twitching also doctor could see it on his tongue but he could not feel this, GLAD YOU HAD A CLEAN EMG that is always a good sign :0))))))))))))) good luck and hugs to you.

Thank you for your input pudge44,
this things got me very worried.
I hope your husband is doing okay.

We are in a greay area right now as he has been diagnosed with "probable Lou Gehrigs" that is not definitive diagnoses so we are holding our breath for now :0)

i hope he doesnt have it...If you dont mind me asking for how many months did he have symptoms?
i hope he gets better and i will pray for both of you
hugs and kisses

Actually from what I have learned there really isn't a time when you could say silly little things/signs over the years would point to ALS, the most significant sign that sent us to medical doctor was his speech he can no longer pronounce words his speech is slurred and he has trouble eating, that started approx 6 months ago and happened basically overnight :0(, like I said you had a clean emg and that is always a good sign from what I gather, ty for your hug and hugs back to you

yes i have read it is a good sign but from what i read also there are people diagnosed with it after clean emg...i just dont know what to believe. Im 23 and heard that is really rare in my age but also i have searched and found many people my age with it...
I just hope im gonna be ok
thank you

anyone who has any input on the nature of my fasciculations i would appreciate the responses!thank you!

hi again . . In answer to your question . . Yes i can initiate them by stretching and utilising the relevant muscle but they can just appear and bounce around in my shoulder for example . . The simple rule is clean emg =no lower motor neuron damage and i believe that in turn =no als . . . An emg will pick up damage to lmn , if it came back clean then its pretty safe to say that your twitching is of a benign nature . . Are you aware of a condition called benign fasciculation syndrome (bfs) ? . . By what you have said i think you have very little to worry about . . More so given your age . . Hope this helps . . Good luck . . Alex

Dear alex...i sont really have musch info just what i read off the internet. My neurologist told me that it didnt show any fasciculations.I was tested in left arm and let leg five muscles in general. She didnt gave me any more info just said it wasnt anything bad.
However because im generally an anxious person i looked it up and everyone saying that fasciculations at rest are not als. Nobody mentioned as bening the ones who have when moving or after moving a muscle:(....thank you so much for your response!
hope you are doing well
hugs

You are missing the point of what Alex has told you. They mean nothing on there own. You have a clean emg which is fantastic, but remember all the other important things you need for a diagnosed of ALS. You would have read about them in your Internet search. You need weakness, real clinical weakness. Not being able to do something that you could before, this usually starts in a limb proximally, eg foot drop, can't button a blouse etc. You also need upper motor neuron signs, so weakness again, or brisk reflexes. Positive babinski etc.
You cannot take a common symptom and look at it on it's own. Especially one that so many people have ( benign fasciculations) . You have had them for a very short time. You have seen a neurologist so believe what his years of training have taught him.
You need to leave it alone and not let your anxiety run away. That is far more harmful than acfew twitches.

Aly

hi again . . If your generally an anxious person then this absolutly will add a twitch or two . . Aly summed it up perfectly and is very experinced with this subject matter -worrying about als because of twitch is comparible to worrying about a brain tumor cos you got a head ache . . Its a real clinical process of numerous( upper and lower mn) symptoms being present and i believe even then there other conditions to eliminate . . Also a neurologist has expressed that you have nothing to fear . . Remember that this is a person that has gone through massive amounts of rigerous training , placements , studying etc to be in a position to practice neurology . . He/she will have much better assesment of you than a computer screen in front of you. I hope this reassure you . . Good luck and hope your anxiety wanes . . God bless . . Alex

Thank you all for your answers.im just really anxious that this will later turn into something else because from what i have read there are people who started with fasciculations and had a clean emg...And the nature of my fasciculations.....I just hope i can relax..
Thank you very much for viewing the thread and took time to respond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back