Reason
Other
Country
US
State
CA
City
Los Angeles
I have had a constant fasciculation in my tongue for 16 months. My neurologist has seen it and thought that it was odd, but not concerning. About 3 weeks ago, I was looking at my tongue in the mirror because it felt tingly. I was so concerned to see that near the left tip, there is about an eraser size spot that quivers itty bitty quivers...over 100 a minute. They are so tiny that you can only see the quivers if the light hits the saliva on the tongue just right. It's like the shimmery affect of sun on snow. Has anyone every experienced anything like this with localized tongue quivering? Thank you everyone in advanced.

hi michelle . . My tongue has just started doing this too . . You are probably already award of this but when you examine your tongue i think that it must be done with the tongue staying completely rested within the base of your mouth . . The reason for this is because if you poke your tongue out it will quiver . . Everyones does . . Thus making it difficult to differentiate between true fasciculations . . From what i gather tongue fasciculations are no more of pointer of anything than any other twitch . . The golden rule i learnt about twitches is that they can only be judged by the company they keep eg weakness or atrophy, .but on their own they are not much to worry about . So as long as your neuro is happy that they nothing sinister then thats something you can be pleased about . . I hope this helps and comforts you . . God bless . . Alex

hey michelle! My tongue shakes all the time but just when i stick it out... its not in just one spot its the whole thing.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. I have had BFS/BFCS for years and I get that same twitch sometimes. Once I had both eyelids twitching non-stop for about 6 months then they stopped. Now that drove me nuts for a few weeks but got used to them.

Seriously, does not sound ominous to me. Best wishes...

A tongue twitch is not an issue. When you can't talk or eat because your tongue doesnt move, now THAT'S an issue!

I have a constant tremor in my tongue but it stops when I keep it in position. Same thing with my smile and lips. When I move them into a smile there is a storm. My doc said both are stress related.

Well I am quite alarmed by this now. I am thinking my tongue will soon be a lump.

I have had a constant fasciculation in my tongue for 16 months.

16 months with no change in your tongue strength is certainly a good (excellent) sign. If it's just a different kind of twitch you're experiencing now, try not to sweat it too much.

After 16 months of no progressing symptoms why would you still be worried? If you had anything ominous it would have definitely reared its ugly head by now. I'd be doing cartwheels if I were you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back