Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MI
City
MI
Hello all,

I’m another scared newbie, and I apologize for the length of this. I have had ALS anxiety through the roof lately, and especially after what I’ve learned about it through my web research, I appreciate it all the more for any of you with ALS who are willing to take the time to review the below and/or respond. For those who don’t, I hold no ill will, and very much understand why you may refrain.

I know no one here can diagnose, so that is certainly not what I am asking. I have reasons to believe I have it, and that I don’t. I’m just hoping one outweighs the other. But please tell me if the below looks typical of ALS to you.

It’s important to note that I have had varying levels of muscle twitching for about 10 years, and have never worried about it until recently. But at this point, I DO have both muscle twitching and clinical weakness, hence my concern obviously.

1) First symptom I noticed was constant muscle twitching in the arches of both feet – especially my left – over the last year. I know ALS twitching is almost always accompanied by weakness, and I also experienced tingling which is not indicative of ALS. So I didn’t worry much about it.

2) Over the last 3-4 weeks, I noticed some slight awkwardness when walking. Nothing major, but just a feeling that I had to concentrate a little more to keep my balance. I go to a neuro, and he does confirm that it’s not just in my head – I do have weakness in my left leg. Granted, he noticed weakness in a couple other areas as well, which I know does not fit the ALS profile until late in the disease. But none of those other areas have encroached upon the level of muscle twitching in my left foot. He seemed more concerned that it could be something like MS or a type of myopathy. He’s scheduled a battery of tests, but didn’t even hint at needing an EMG. In fact, he’s barely shown any concern for the muscle twitching at all.

3) BUT, since my visit to the neuro (about a week ago), I’ve noticed the muscle twitching in my left foot has seemed to change a bit. It is no longer just in the arches of my left foot, but also in my sole and heal areas, my ankles, and the lower part of my calves. They also seem relatively constant, and fairly fine – some of them I don’t notice until I put my left foot or ankle up against something. The ones I do notice feel fine and very rapid. Based on what I've seen, this type of twitching is more consistent with ALS than what I've had to this point.

So this is where I stand, and I’m going crazy thinking this could be ALS. I’m 26/m, so I’d like to think that points away from ALS, though I know it’s not a silver bullet. I am also still functional – I ran fine on a treadmill as recently as two weeks ago, even after the walking issue popped up, and I can run up and down stairs fine. There hasn't been anything from a functional standpoint, within my normal range of activity, that I can’t yet do upon attempt.

I would be very appreciative if anyone could tell me if this seems likely to fit the ALS profile or not. Again, I know no one can diagnose, I’m just looking for something to ease my mind IF in fact this does not seem consistent with ALS. Of course, if it does based on your experiences, I don’t expect anyone to just tell me what I want to hear, either. Either way, thank you very sincerely to anyone who reads and/or responds. My thoughts and prayers are sincerely will all of you who have been struck with ALS or anything of a similarly debilitating nature, and for those who are close with someone who has.

Helloooooooooooo, if your neuro isn't concerned you shouldn't be, now get away from this site and enjoy life to the fullest( I say that last part to get you away from having this kind of anxiety).

Sleep apnea? Shortness of breath? Slurring of speech? Can't hold your head up? Curled fingers upon awakening? Weak knees? Legs won't hold up to go up and down stairs? Trouble swallowing? Morning congestion? Excess perspiration with slight exertion? Stiffness and pain? Visual loss of muscle mass? Difference in size of one limb to the other? Abnormal blood tests (cpk) or EMG? Neurologists suspect? Have trouble getting up out of a low chair? Can't balance on one foot? Can't stand up on your toes? These are only some of the symptoms, but if you answer no......... go celebrate and listen to those who are testing you for something else. I wish you all the best.

There are many many neurological problems that can cause the issues you are having. You have done the right thing consulting your dr and seeing a neurologist. It's now important that you let him do his job and trust in his judgement, like Marjorie said.It is indeed an anxious time and it's hard being patient while tests are scheduled. Unfortunately you have no choice. The best thing you can do for yourself is control the anxiety and continue life as before. It certainly fits the MS profile, so your dr will want to rule that out. No reason to suspect ALS. Neurologists are not interested in fasciculations in the absence of other signs.

Running uses a different mechanism, so it is interesting how some people have difficulty walking but can sometimes still run a bit. That probably why you do not feel the coordination problems when running.

Keep off this site once you get the answer you require, it will cause you more anxiety the more you read about over anxious twitchers and ALS.

Best of luck with your tests and let us know whats actually going on. The info will then help others.

Aly

Thank you all very kindly for the responses.

Marjorie, I can answer no to everything on your list with one exception - the weak knees. But I know those can obviously be caused by anxiety, so I'm hoping that can explain it.

I'm also tempted to respond affirmative to the slurring of speech, but that is one "symptom" that I'm trying valiantly to convince myself that it's all in my head (and succeeding for the most part). Besides, I know bulbar onset is rare, and based on what I've read, I don't believe I'm likely to have bulbar symptoms while my left leg is still functioning, if it were caused by ALS.

Aly, as far as MS - if I were to find out it is MS, I'll actually be relieved. And I know MS is far from something to be happy about. That's how scared I am of ALS. I do find conflicting info though on the relationship, if any, between MS and fasiculations/twitching. Some places I see say there can be a link, some say there isn't. But there are obviously other conditions that can mimic either MS or ALS as you pointed out, so I am hopeful.

Will post results when I get more info in a few weeks, and deeply appreciate the responses and concern once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back