PALS
Country
US
State
il
City
chicago
Sorry, this might be a double post....

I am freaking out as well about similar twitching. I have read about RLS but am focused on this ALS. I am 37m and have had twitching that has been all over but 95% of the time is in my calves and thighs for the past week. Sometimes I do get brief twitches in my butt or back or arms but like I said it is 95% in my legs. However, i never feel the twitches when I am walking around, moving or just standing. They are less pronounced when sitting, but are exaggerated when laying down it seems. Should I go have an EMG done to diagnose or rule out ALS? Thanks so much.

Kevin

at this point, I would say no. twitching can happen for many many reasons, and for no reason at all. the fact that you have only been having this issue for a couple weeks is enough to say no to an EMG at this time.
also, you have no other symptoms. Weakness (clinical, not perceived) would be the first strong indicator of ALS. This means that you ARE weaker, not that you FEEL weaker. Like you litterally cannot button your shirt, or open a bottle, or walk up stairs. Its not just a feeling of your muscles being tired.
I hate to tell you, but you need to wait. As of right now, there is absolutely NOTHING that says you may have ALS. NOTHING.
So my advise to you is to stop putting "twitching" in your computers search engine, get out there, and live life!

Thanks Liz.

Can I ask why I have to wait to get an EMG? Also, does the fact that the twitching is in both legs and only when I lay down mean anything? I have read where the twitiching usually starts in one distinct place, not all over, since the ALS twitching would be caused by dying muscles? I would like to think this is just the cause of stress/anxiety but seems to "easy" of an out. I have been extremely stressed out and anxious for about 2 months due to thinking I have all these other problems. I have had xrays on my lower back/spine, ultrasound on my kidneys, bloodwork at my regular doctor, all turning out ok. I just cant get this ALS and twitching of my legs (mostly - though rarely in my arms or torso too) out of my head. If I move around and stand and do stuff, I feel no twitches. I dont know...just freaking out.

Would the weakness be totally obvious? Would it be in my arms and/or legs since the twitching is in my legs?

Just a heads up, what you have is not ALS, why do I say that? Because I do have it and I wouldn't even pretend to tell you what to doctors over 16 months to fully confirm.

Hi Kev, sorry you have found your way here. Just wanted to let you know that I received your visitor message you left on my profile, I responded by leaving you one back on your profile. Hope you got, and I would be happy to talk with you.

Take Care

Robynn:D

In answer to your question about having an EMG. Twitches by themselves is not a reason to have a test like an EMG. It seems that they are done on request in USA, judging from the people that get the test. They seem to be always clean if the twitches are the only symptom, especially after the person has already been examined and it is normal. That's just what seems to be the trend of the forum responders.
The twitches will not effect your QOL, apart from being a bit annoying, but if they stay, then you hardly notice them. You will not feel them when standing and walking, as the muscle must be completely relaxed for a muscle to fasciculate. That's why you notice them when you are relaxed.
Responding to your comment about stress being an easy way out..... I thinknwhat happens is that people get some benign twitches( very very common). They are interested so google it. They are lead to the ALS sight and get stressed, understandably, considering the terminal nature of ALS. Then the real stress kicks in and voilà, they get worse and spread.
I have twitches pretty much all the time, yesterday I had a very upsetting day, about 100 out of 100. My usually ignored twitches, look like snakes are trying to break out of my skin. That's the stress talking.

Hope that's helped answering your questions.
Happy new year
Aly

Dear Kevin,
There are other tests to take c'est to help identify what is causing your symptoms. If you go to a neurologist they will do a full clinical evaluation andlet you know if an EMG/NCT is warranted. There are labs to check potassium levels, blood work etc. The EMG/NCT will show nerve damage but does not in and of itself confirm an ALS diagnosis. My husband's came back with damage in all but 2 spots but had no UMN symptoms - hence not ALS...it has taken us literally 18 months offsets to try and find SOMETHING else- we are currently at a tentative diagnosis of PMA.

The fact that your symptoms are limited to the twitching and cramps takes ALS off.the list.

I pray you get some clarity soon so you can move to the "how to live life" stage.
Peace,
Melody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back